Tuesday, April 23, 2013

#6 [Pontezuela - 4] April 22nd, 2013

Hello, Fambamily!

So this week has been pretty slow as far as missionary work goes. It wasn't a complete failure, but I'm ashamed to say mine and Hermana Flores' numbers weren't the highest. (It's not like I care about the numbers, but they definitely count for something. Hehe, get it?! I'm so punny!) But anyway, because of my participation in the Choir (we had TWO performances this week), I feel like I wasn't in my area at all this week, and then we drove Hermana VanLeeuwen (one of the sisters I live with) and another sister who stayed with us for two days to the office and back almost every day. We drove over 100 miles in one day alone. It was crazy. Nevertheless, it was good to drive around, since I'm learning how to drive like a Puerto Rican. It's insane, but I'm getting it. If I can drive here, I can drive anywhere I think.

We're all getting new companions TOMORROW! I'm staying here in Pontezuela, And I'm so so excited about the changes coming up. Obviously, I'm a little nervous about it, too, but I have faith in the Lord that everything will work out and be okay. I am also very sad to lose Hermana Flores as a companion, but I know she will help her future companion and the area of Mayaguez SO much. She is an incredible missionary, and it was an honor to serve with her and learn as much as I did from her example.

I found out who my companion will be. My District Leader called and let me know: she's one of the sisters I knew in the MTC. I am really excited because she and I got along so well, and she is an incredible missionary! I'm not getting my hopes up too high, because I know there is still a possible chance for a last-minute change, but still. Whoever comes to Pontezuela to serve with me better be ready to party and work hard at the same time.

Our ward, I'm not sure if I told you about it last week, but it's really really small. And I've been trying to think of things we could do as missionaries to strengthen it. I want to find people who will commit and convert to the Lord. We have SO many inactive members. It's good to visit them, and try to get them to come back to church, but it's difficult. I plan to work with the youth. I feel like because I'm closer to their age, I can relate to them more. D&C 121 says that "the strength of the Lord's höuse" is the youth. So that's what I hope to do here. Obviously, I'm not the one in charge, the Lord is, so we'll see.  

Our investigators are doing just fine. Rosa was avoiding us all week, but we finally got to talk to her. She's had a baptismal date for 2 weeks now, and we know she hasn't felt completely ready for it since she's putting off her last requisite - Church attendance. (As a prerequisite for baptism, all investigators must attend Church at least 3 times). But we got to talk to her last night, and Hermana Flores got to talk to her for the last time, and we figured out what her concerns were. It was a really spiritual experience, and I feel like for the first time, the lesson was half and half. It was amazing, and I know the Lord definitely helped me with that.
 

We also visited the Flores family, a couple who are in their 60's I think. (It's hard to tell because people here have NO wrinkles!) But anyway, they are progressing faster than we thought they would. Last night's lesson with them was absolutely incredible! We talked about SO many things, and we answered so many of their questions. Eternal marriage, families, baptism, priesthood authority, the Restoration, the Holy Ghost, and Prayer. It was indescribable. And after, when we were just about to finish with a closing prayer, and after we taught them how to pray, the telephone rang, and all of us jumped because we were so engrossed in the Spirit. It was really such an amazing experience.

I love this work. I am so thankful to be a part of it. A year and a half ago, I never thought I would have the chance to serve a mission, and now, today, I just realized that I'm HERE. I'm doing this. This is for real! And I love it! I'm so happy to be a part of this and I'm loving every minute. It's hard, and frustrating, but the joy that comes along with it is... Wow. So worth it!

Random thing that happened this week, I made French toast for Hermana Flores; she'd never had it before, poor thing! So I made it for all of us for breakfast, and she LOVED it. Hurray for good food! It reminded me of home. Momma, I miss your cookin'!

Speaking of food, I'm just kind of accepting the fact that I'm going to gain weight while I'm here. We eat SO much rice and beans and fried stuff at members' houses, and they give you SO much . . . I run every morning, but still. And luckily, I ride a bike every day, too. But anyway, don't judge.

Okay! Now I'll reply to your email!

It's good to hear that everyone's teeth are doing just fine. I'm wearing my retainer every week at least once, and I STILL haven't missed a day flossing!) Dad, way to keep those chompers of yours straight, too! That's awesome!

I heard about the Boston Marathon event. We were at an investigator's house when we heard about it. She was freaking out. But I am thankful to hear that Sister Clayton wasn't harmed; I thought of her immediately when I heard about it, and I'm so glad the Lord protected her. What an awful tragedy, though! We are definitely in the last days.

Okay, I need to repent. I've been AWFUL at taking pictures here. I've got . . . maybe 3 pictures with Hermana Flores. I am really sorry. But I'll bring my USB cord along next week to send them. I'll be sure to take lots this week so I can earn your forgiveness. I'm sure my blog is looking pretty plain without pictures. So sorry!

Jaker, I hope your birthday was perfect! That's great you won your soccer game! Keep up the good work! And way to go on your win with the Espanolandia! That's so so awesome! It's good to know all that stuff. And good luck in your choir! That's an awesome thing to do, dude!
 

Hurray about Katherine B's mission call, too! The last time I talked to her, she wasn't sure if she was going to serve, so that's great she submitted her papers and got her call! She will rock it!

Congrats on Camille's relationship status, if, of course, Dad's facebook stalking is correct. That's always exciting! And I'm sorry to hear about Nathan. I'm praying for everyone, but I'll pray hard for him.

About Mother's Day . . . I'm not allowed to call. It's a new thing the President is trying out because he feels like we're too distracted. So you'll have to wave at Rachel for me, because I'm not going to be able to. Jokes! I will be calling, but I don't know when. We aren't permitted to Skype, regrettably. But that's okay cuz I think if I saw your guys' faces I'd get too emotional to handle it. I miss you guys a lot. But to answer your initial question, I don't remember my Skype name right off, But luckily, it doesn't matter since I won't be using it at all. Hermana Tuitavake (my companion for the day, since Hermana Flores and Hermana VanLeeuwen left this morning) says we get to call, but our District Leaders are the ones who will call and tell us when we can call. Apparently, we never know until the moment we're told. So I can't guarantee a specific time. But I'll be sure to ask when we get closer.

The PRSJ mission is absolutely insane. I'm not even kidding. You get a call and are expected to be in another area or something in ten minutes. It's so random. It's a little frustrating, but they keep us on our toes.

The milk here is SO expensive. We just bought our groceries for the week, and wanna know how much a gallon cost us? $6.00. SIX DOLLARS! Everything here is expensive. But really? So sad. They sell two types of milk here: the normal kind, and then the kind in boxes that doesn't need to be refrigerated until it's opened. I've tried both, and I don't mind the kind in the box as long as I'm not drinking it plain. If you do, it tastes like cardboard. But whatever. I'll live. And if I have to spend $6 lumping dollars on a gallon of milk, I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Well, I'm just about out of time. Thank you so much for everything. I love you all and hope all is well.

Infinite x's and o's. OXOX :)
 

-Hermana Erickson #2

No comments:

Post a Comment