Monday, June 16, 2014

#66 [Ponce - 3] June 16th, 2014

Dear fambamily:

This week was full of craziness. I honestly don't know where to begin. It's like one thing after another was thrown my way! I'm surprised I survived!

 After a week or so of waking up with red bites all over our bodies, we discovered we have BEDBUGS, so it's been real nice being eaten alive every night. We figured they were mosquito bites until we saw the blood spots on our sheets. However, we're taking care of the problem, slowly and surely. But getting new mattresses was nice because at least the beds are bug-free. I'm not so sure about our luggage, though. We've still gotta take care of that. We can't really kill them all because we don't have a clothes dryer, either, so even when we wash our clothes they're still there. Those things are indestructible! It's fine, though.

We had Zone Conference as well. That was sweet. I honestly love the Zwicks. They're the greatest. I'm going to be sad getting a new Mission President. But it'll be exciting, too! 4 Mission Presidents all in a year and a half!

Anyway, we found a few good people this week that we'll be excited to work with. Even 2 families!! But the most exciting thing that happened was that we spoke in Church yesterday, all four of the sisters here in Ponce 4, and the Bishop is super pumped about missionary work! We met with the ward council immediately after church and began discussing what we would all do to rescue our fellow inactive/less-active members. I felt like we were on one of those training videos: "How to hold a Ward Council." It was super productive! Everyone started naming off specific people they wanted to invite themselves to Church, and we even set up some appointments with specific members to go with us to investigators' houses, who also committed to invite them to their homes at the end of the appointment! I'm really excited about the synergy in the ward, so it'll be an exciting time here in Ponce! This makes the ridiculous heat here completely worth it.

We got the call about transfers. Both Sister Dye and I are staying here, but we're both getting new companions. It's like Pontezuela all over again, because we have to divide all the contacts and investigators we have. I'm nervous because the other sisters have been mainly working with less actives, so I honestly don't know where any of them live, but I guess we'll figure that out.

To be honest, I'm excited and kinda sad about transfers. Even though Sister Dye and I have only been together for 6 weeks, I feel like we've been with each other for forever! We've been through so much more than I can say in the past six weeks and I feel like I've grown closer to her than I have to any other companion. This has been the most difficult transfer of my entire mission, but it's a good thing, and I'll miss her being my companion. But at least we're still living in the same house! That'll be fun. I'm excited to have a Dominican companion. Her name is Sister Leonardo. She's been out for about a year I think. Hopefully my Spanish will get even better as I work with her! And I'll be asking her about the DR all day every day, probably!

I'm so sad to hear about M__ B__. I'm in complete shock. But I know without a doubt that she's where she needs to be, serving the Lord the way she had hoped to on earth: as a missionary. She said that she'd planned on serving a mission if the cancer went away, but I guess the Lord has a whole other dimension she's needed in. My best wishes to her family and everyone who knew her.

I can't believe Rae is already coming home! I feel like we just said goodbye to each other in the laundry room! It's been such a quick year and a half. I feel like my mission is automatically over now that she's coming back. SO WEIRD. Rae, can't wait to see you!!!!! I can't wait to hear about the whole family reunion, too. Dad! Don't forget to iPad her talk for me so I can watch her! I'll definitely be missing out! It'll be lonely knowing I'm the only missionary serving from the fam for a little bit.

Well anywho, I'm not really sure what else to write about, so I think I'm just gonna end it there. I love you and miss you and will be thinking about you probably all week and about the whole airport scene. That's probably going to be a Kleenex moment, right Mom!? :) You'd better record the whole thing! I love you!!

-Hermana Erickson


No comments:

Post a Comment