Monday, June 9, 2014

#65 [Ponce - 2] June 9th, 2014

Dear family:

I just want you guys to know I love you and am so thankful to have been born into such an incredible family. I feel so blessed to have been raised by such "goodly parents!" I love you guys so much and miss you so much. There are so many things I need to tell you, too!!

I'm excited about the references we can receive from Carmen; hopefully she'll get back to us soon. Transfers are next week and I don't know if they'll keep us here or not, Sister Burgess is the next one to go home because Sister Castaneda is going home next week (a day after Rach). I can't believe I only have two transfers left now... Time has flown by. But our guess is that we'll be staying here. So either way, send the references, and I'm sure they'll be contacted!

Okay, Krispen's daughter looks so gorgeous! I can't wait to meet her! How are they doing? How's KaLynn doing? What's she up to? Lyndsee?

I got an email from Josh Thill, thanks for giving him my email. It was good to hear from him.

We have a Zone Conference this week on Wednesday.

I'm in the Ponce 4th Ward. But that could change, so feel free to stalk me for this week! Hahaha!

The front of the house looks great, I'm so excited for Rachel to go home! I can't believe it's been so long since I've seen her! I'm excited to hang out with the kids, too. It's just going to be a good life. But I'm NOT even trunky. I'm LOVING this! It's super hot here in Ponce, and I'm dying every day, but Ponce is the most Puertoriqueno you can get, and everyone gives us food ALL the time. I love Puerto Rican food, guys. And I'm sorry to say, too, that I even like Coca-Cola! Who woulda thunk I'd ever say that in my life!?! I drank it with my breakfast yesterday... I've changed! Hahahaha.
 

Anyway, I guess I'll get on to telling you about everything we've been up to this week. Contacting, contacting, and more contacting. I'm getting darker every day! Holla! I'm excited about it, but I am kinda nervous because I feel like all this sun is going to cause me some skin cancer. So I'll be sure to take your advice and slather on the sunscreen even though I know it just comes off anyway. The funny thing about Puerto Ricans (well, Caribbeaners in general) is that they compliment us on how "pretty" we are when we feel like we're disgusting, sweaty street wanderers. But it's fine, it sure makes us feel confident! Hehehe

We've been contacting and giving out Book of Mormons. So many people call us "Mormons" without even knowing the reason why. So we invite them to read about it and it gives us a reason to follow up, too. I love testifying about the Book of Mormon. Even if I'm completely exhausted and so tired of doing the same old every day, every time we can place a Book of Mormon, I fire up! I LOVE teaching about the Book of Mormon, because it's like a whole other piece of the Gospel puzzle. I hope that the people we invited to read will do so. The Book of Mormon really is the key to a testimony. I know it's true and love it with all my heart.

I feel like we eat rice pretty much every day. A few days ago, a member invited the four of us to lunch and made a lasagna with RICE, instead of lasagna noodles, and it was DELICIOUS! I'm sorry to talk about food so much in this email, but I guess I'm hungry. :)

We had a ward activity, too, all based on Lehi's vision of the Tree of Life. We set up a tree made of cardboard and put Blow pops stapled to a picture of Jesus Christ as the "fruit." The chapel was dark, and the members were blindfolded, and they had to follow the "iron rod" (a piece of string that wove in and out of the rooms, all over the chapel) until they reached the tree. We (the missionaries) were, ironically, the one tempting them and trying to lead them astray. It was kinda fun acting like the bad guy! But they all really enjoyed it and thought it was a lot of fun. The members were impressed. Hopefully all the activities we do in the future will be that well attended and that they'll invite their friends, too. We extended the invitation for them to invite their friends, who are currently wandering around in the dark, to be able to partake of the fruit by inviting them to follow the Gospel, to read the Book of Mormon, etc. It was really spiritual.

Well anyways, I've got to write to my Mission President. I'm excited to meet the new one, but I'll miss the Zwicks a lot!

I LOVE YOU!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment