Thursday, May 23, 2013

#10 [Pontezuela - 8] May 20th, 2013

Hi! I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH!

So... this week was super rough, but that's okay! Because I figure the Lord is trying to teach me something. No, actually, I KNOW He is.

Our mission is really focusing on making sure our weekly planning time is put to good use; that we're planning out our weeks effectively. And I feel like with all this new planning stuff that we're learning and applying, the work is going along a lot smoother and what not. But no matter how hard we tried to have set appointments this week, they all kept falling through. I'd call our investigator a day in advance to remind them, and then I'd call them the next day in the morning to remind them again, and then when the time for our appointment would roll around, we'd wind up there with a member, and they wouldn't be there! It was really disappointing. And we'd stop by our backup plan's house, too, and they wouldn't be there either.

But what I learned from this week is that the Lord is trying to show me that no matter how hard I try, and no matter how effective I think I'M working, HE'S the one that will ultimately make the plans work out. It's all in His time, and even though we didn't achieve any of our goals this week, I know that this next week, it's possible. But it was a really humbling week for me, and I am thankful for it, looking back, even though I hated it. Like, really hated it. But whatever. I'm happy it's Monday. :)

Yesterday, Sunday, was the best day of my mission so far. Wanna know why? ...It's cuz my favorite people attended Church for the first time! H... and R... and their kids. Oh my gosh. I just want them to be baptized and sealed in the temple already! So it was their first time at Church, and we haven't even taught Lesson 2 yet, but at Church, in class, they talked all about temples. And that got H... and R... interested. Especially R..., because when she first learned about the importance of having children within wedlock, she started to cry during Relief Society because she felt guilty, but the cool thing was, we told her that she can repent, be baptized, and a year later, be sealed for time and all eternity, she got so excited! And when I said we don't have a temple here in Puerto Rico yet, she said, "Well, we will!" I caught the vision, and so did she! I love this Gospel. The Lord is so merciful, and He has provided a way for ALL of His children to return to live with Him, regardless of what they've done in the past. AGH! I can't even get over it!

Anyway... We don't have a specific date for their baptism yet, but A... turns 8 in June, so we're thinking the day after her birthday is when we'll challenge them for baptism. I am so excited because I think they're ready and I am so excited. I love this family more than I ever thought I could. I feel the Lord's love for them so strongly whenever I think about them and I want more than anything for them to accept this gospel and be together forever. We're so lucky to already have this great blessing, and I am so thankful I get to share it with all the sweet people here in Puerto Rico, but especially with them.

We got a new investigator this week, too. Her name is V..., and she's 19. Okay, it's the coolest thing ever to teach people my own age! :) Kinda weird, but I love it, too! We also got to teach her little sister and her Mom. I"m not sure if her Mom will accept the gospel because she's afraid to change her religion, but we'll see. V... is super interested, and I am so excited for her!

With one of our less actives (S... - I think I sent a picture of her last week), we're beginning to re-teach her the lessons. We started with the Restoration on Tuesday, and then we're going to be reading the Book of Mormon with her because she never learned to read. I find it amazing that she got baptized in 2005, and she had no idea who Joseph Smith was. She was baptized with her husband, so maybe she just did it because he did, but still. I'm excited we get to teach her again. She really wants to read the Book of Mormon and know if it's true. Hopefully when she gets her answer she'll finally start attending Church with us. She's been attending with her sister for the past few years to a different one. Lots of people do that here. They don't understand the fact that we have the authority to do such saving ordinances such as baptism and the sacrament, so they keep attending their old churches just for the sake of going to a church. It's really sad.
 

Anywho, I'll reply to your email now! Thanks for keeping me updated! I laugh a lot when I am reading your emails because of how descriptive they are and I can imagine everything. I miss you guys!

Heather- I'm sending you a letter! Huzzah! Be prepared, it's awesome. But good job on teaching FHE last Monday! That'll be great mission prep! (Eh, eh, Potter? :) Hehe) We talk about the Apostasy all the time out here. It is a vital part of the Restoration, because without knowing about the Apostasy, people don't see a need for a Restoration of the Gospel. It's awesome. Okay, it's not awesome that the world experienced a Great Apostasy, but it's awesome that the Restoration happened. So we're all good.

Joshy! I hope you get the job at J-Dawgs! Ever since I walked into that place, I imagined you working there! Visions? Revelations, maybe!? Don't just turn in an application though, follow up on it and make sure they hire you! Let them know you WANT the job! :) You can do it! And when I get home, you can tell me the secret sauce recipe, and we can be fatties and eat hot dogs! Huzzah!

That's sad about Sister Monson. I didn't know about that. Thank heavens for the Plan of Salvation and the chance we get to be with our loved ones for forever! President Monson is always in my prayers. Sometimes, I think I've got it rough being a missionary, but I can't even imagine the weight on his shoulders, being the President of the Church. I know the Lord strengthens him, but it'd be very humbling. demanding job. But I know he is the Prophet of God. I am thankful for a living Prophet on the earth today.
 

It was nice to hear about Çole's farewell. Wish him luck for me, K? I know he'll be great!

So right now, our entire mission is doing a 40-day fast. Not from food or water, but from things that we don't necessarily NEED. I decided to give up writing to people for the next forty days. So peeps, if you're upset about not receiving a letter, sorry, but I've gotta focus on the work, and I'll write when I can (when 40 days are over, duh). Oh, but thanks for sending Jessica Jarvis' address for me. I'll write to her as soon as I can, too.

I didn't know Dad kept a journal about your guys' courtship!! WHAT!? I wanna read it! I bet it was awesome! Dad, thanks for keeping a record of that! I wanna hear all about it sometime! And I was thinking about it, Mom, and I wanna hear more about your mission, too.

CONGRATULATIONS TO MADELINE AND TYLER ABOUT THEIR ENGAGEMENT! <3 Tender! I am so excited for them! Madeline needs to write to me about the details. I wrote her a letter last week, so hopefully she'll get it and write back stat. I am SO curious! :) And so happy! And so excited! Just about everything. Hurray for marriage! Do they know where they're getting married? When? Gah! Just tell me already! :)

Heather was right, Arica Madsen is going on a mission. She just wrote to me about it last week, and I got her letter Tuesday, so I couldn't tell you about it. But she's going to Long Beach, California and leaves on the 22nd. I am super excited for her and wish her the best! She'll be awesome! :) Can you tell her to email me, maybe? Through facebook or something? I dunno. Just try to get a hold of her before she leaves somehow. Thanks!

So this week, I was the sweatiest I've ever been. We go to our appointments sometimes with a member. She's like 89 or something, and she still drives, but her car is seriously a living junkyard. It sounds like a t-rex, and the AC doesn't work, neither do the windows roll down. And so it's like an oven on the inside. We were riding with her to an appointment, and so she decided to take the long way, and drive all the way around the city to go to the house which, in reality, was only a 5-minute drive from her house. Within those 20 minutes, Hermana Brotherson and I were soaked. (Too much info, I know). But it was awful. Just count your blessings, that's all I've got to say. It was like we took a shower. :) Lovely. Whoever thought missionary work would be so wet? I didn't. That's for sure.

Oh! I forgot to tell you about a funny experience that happened a few weeks ago! I've got a few minutes so I'll write about it. So it was Saturday, the day before Fast Sunday, and I hadn't started my fast yet, but all the other girls had, and we went to our meeting with our Ward Mission Leader. Anyway, at the end of our meeting, he runs inside his house, and brings out a tray of oatmeal cookies and 4 big glasses of grape juice and says, "Buen provecho!" (It's a Puerto Rican phrase that people say when you're about to eat something. And the funny thing is, even if you're out in public eating at a restaurant, complete strangers will come up to you and say it. I think it's great!) Anyway. He comes out and says that, and then goes inside the house. I had to eat all the cookies and drink all the juice because the other girls couldn't. It was just really funny. I'd gotten through about 2 glasses when he came back out again; the other two were about halfway full still. But little did he know, I ATE IT ALL! It was just a really funny moment.

People here give us juice all the time. Either that, or Coke. I've drank more Coke here in the past two months than I have in my whole life. It's so nasty, but people just bring it out without even asking if we want it, so we drink it so they don't feel bad. One time, we were at an investigator's house, and someone rejected the drink, and our investigator got super mad. We still have our free agency, but I figure it won't kill me to drink it once a week. BUT when they do have the decency to ask if we want it first, I get to tell them I want water. It's great :) Yay for communication! Super random, but I figured I'd tell you about the culture a bit.

Anyway, I've gotta go cuz I'm outta time. I love you all to pieces and hope you're doing great! I think about you and pray for you every day and night. Keep being awesome and standing for truth and righteousness! It's the cool thing to do.

Peace out!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment