Tuesday, May 7, 2013

#8 [Pontezuela - 6] May 6th, 2013

Hello everybody!

This week flew by, and I can't even believe that it's already Mother's Day this next Sunday. I'm excited to talk to you guys, but not really at the same time because I feel like it'll make me homesick. Don't get offended, I'm just being honest :) BUT! About the phone call. You guys will have to call me, and so I'm not sure how you want that to work out exactly. We have to be finished with our phone calls by 8:30pm our time, and we have 40 minutes to talk. YOU GUYS NEED TO CALL ME FOR OUR PHONE CALL AT 2PM YOUR TIME. (That'll be 4pm my time). And obviously, you're not allowed to call any other time before or after that until Christmas.

This week was slow as far as progressing investigators go. I was super pumped after Tuesday at our Zone Conference, but no matter how many phone calls we made and no matter how much we tried, everything seemed to fall through. We have to report our weekly numbers every Sunday evening, and every week I feel like a failure because we don't quite reach our goals, but I'm trying my best anyway. We'll get them eventually!

Regardless of everything, we had miracles happen this week!

We have a new family we're teaching, Hector and Rudy, and they are amazing! They both have so many questions about the Church, and are very excited to be learning so much about it! We taught about the Doctrine of Christ, and only got halfway through the lesson, but it was really awesome. We plan to challenge them to be baptized this next appointment! I really want this family to accept the Gospel. Their marriage is already so strong; I've never seen two people SO in love like they are. I know that they would love to go to the temple and be sealed for time and all eternity. I can't wait to teach them about temples!!! AH! I just love these people, I can't even take it! And they have two kids, too! Isaac, who is 14, and Aida, 7. Yay for families!

Some funny things happened this week, too. Hermana Brotherson and I were riding our bikes the University to do our 12-week program training, and we saw a husband and wife walking their dog, so we decided to slow down to talk to them. Well, as I pull up to them, I try hopping off my bike, and I say "Hola!, etc." and then I fell over because my bike crashed into the curb, AND my skirt got caught on the bike seat... And then the wife kept on walking, and didn't even say anything to me, and their dog started freaking out at me because I had scared it, and then the husband/guy gave me a super weird look. It was a very embarrassingly shameful moment for me. I'm not sure who thought of the brilliant idea for girls to wear skirts, but it's not a very successful thing to wear on a bike. A girl can't have any pride on the mission, that's for sure. :)

Another funny thing happened, too. So this week, we contacted a guy on the street named Edwin, he's about 40 or 50 years old, and the cool thing was that he said he'd attended Church before and had been taught by them missionaries, but he hadn't attended Church in a long time. So we gave him our card. He ended up calling us that same afternoon to set up an appointment. (Which is unheard of!) So we were super excited. And then, when the day for the appointment rolled around, it didn't happen because he was at work, but he called us again yesterday just to talk to me on the phone. And it was super awkward because he kept calling me "Mi Amor," so obviously it was kind of obvious what was on his mind. He called again later on at around 7pm just to talk and so I had to tell him I couldn't just talk to him unless it was about setting up teaching appointments. There are some strange men here... Creepy and strange. But I have never felt unsafe before, so I know we've got the Lord's angels all around us to protect us :)

With Fe and her family this week, we focused on the Book of Mormon, and watched the Testaments because we thought it'd be a good thing for the kids. It was VERY spiritual. I've only ever seen that movie one other time, but both times, I've bawled. Especially at the end. But it was a very good experience, and Fe was crying, too. I love seeing these people feel things they've never felt before, and learn things they forgot they knew before our life on earth. I love sharing this Gospel! I want them to accept the Gospel, too! Scratch that, how about EVERYONE accept the Gospel! :) Okay? Okay.

We only visited Rosa once this week. I don't really know what's going on with her, but she won't answer her phone. I hope everything is okay with her. Sometimes I feel like we're being super annoying, but I know she likes us, and I know she likes the lessons, and I can't help it. I just love her so much! But we taught her about the Word of Wisdom, and she was completely willing to give up coffee in order to be baptized. But the thing is, she won't commit to baptism. She wants to be baptized, but every time we have a date set, she doesn't come to Church in order to push her date back again. So this next time, we're going to have to either let her go, or figure out if she's really serious about all this.

We visited more less actives, too. I feel so sad when I meet people who have left the Church, especially for reasons that have nothing to do with them. It just goes to show how converted they were at the time of their baptism. So sad.

Juan and Emilia aren't progressing as of right now because we haven't seen them in over a week now. We were hoping to set a baptismal date with them this week, but it didn't happen. To say the least, this week was slow as far as investigators' progression goes.

Okay, now to answer your email!
  • My monthly allowance is $200 I think if I remember right. Food her is super expensive, and I can't even believe it! But by the end of the month, that's about how much we've used.
  • I don't know what my area boundaries are. Pathetic, I know, but this place is so big, and I get lost all the time! Our area is Carolina/Pontezuela as far as I know. It's not super huge, but there are a TON of people since we're in the San Juan zone.
  • I haven't cried since leaving home to be honest. At least about being homesick or anything like that. I've cried because I get frustrated, and I cry because I feel the Spirit, but not because I'm sad or anything like that. So no worries! But thanks for the suggestion. If I do need to cry for any reason, and I just so happen to have enough time to do so, I'll have myself a good cry in the shower. What a great idea!
  • And about Carmen, no, she hasn't sent me any information about her family. How's she doing?

Congrats to Cole on going through the temple, too! Sorry to hear about all the stress on his special day, but I'm excited for him! When does he enter the MTC again?

Um, what else can I tell you about? We had a random guy show up to Church on Sunday (yesterday). We met him Saturday night walking around the neighborhood, and invited him to Church even though we didn't actually believe he'd show up, but then lo and behold, HE WAS THERE! How is it that we can get a random man to show up to Church, but not our investigators!? Drives me crazy. I'm glad he came, but since we can't teach single men, he isn't technically our investigator. But it was cool to have him show up anyway. A soul is a soul, regardless of who gets to teach them about the Gospel. :)

Well, I'm basically out of time now. We are all writing an email to Sister Alvarado today too to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. But Happy Mother's day, Momma! I love you so much! Can't wait to talk to you all! Have a great week!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment