Friday, May 31, 2013

#11 [Pontezuela - 9] May 27th, 2013

HI THEEERE! (Like Alex the Lion!)

    Hey there! I don't have much time, we had to come do our email at the Chapel today, and so we're trying to do our email as quick as possible so we all have time.

We got a baptismal date this week, with F.... She's been progressing slowly, and has never attended church even though we've been teaching her since my first week here in Puerto Rico. All signs point to dropping her since she didn't even attend church yesterday even though she committed to do it. But I don't know, I don't feel like we should. She has so much potential. And I guess that's what's so difficult about missionary work; you see so much potential in all the people you teach and you love them so much, but you have to remember that God will force no one into heaven, and neither can we as His servants. It's difficult. We'll see about her this next week. But her baptismal date is the 23rd of June, and she wants her whole family baptized, but if they're not coming to Church and not reading, there's no way it's going to happen and I feel bad getting her hopes up. We just have to tell her about that I guess. And she'll need to get married in the next 3 weeks, and I don't know how her boyfriend would take it. But we'll see.

We dropped J... and E... Same scenario; they weren't keeping commitments and neither were they coming to Church. They want to be baptized, but got scared when we set a date. But hopefully some missionaries in the future will go back and try with them again.

We contacted a lot this week, and it was hard work. We got two new investigators, so I'm excited to teach them. We went on splits this week, and Hna Tuitavake and I worked together and Hna Felix and Hna Brotherson worked together for a day. They got in a car accident, and Hna Felix pulled a neck muscle, and it was swelling up, so we took her to the hospital just in case, but then she didn't see a doctor for 24 hours, so she was flown to Florida. It escalated quickly, but she's actually just fine. Our Mission Nurse was just concerned that she was internally bleeding. But all is well! Hna Felix is still in Florida, working there, and so we've had Hna Tuitavake with us for the past few days. It's been fun being in a 3-some with Hermana Tuitavake. We miss Hermana Felix, though, and hope she'll return soon.

Oh, but funny story! We contacted an older couple with Alzheimer's disease yesterday. It was absolutely hilarious and really sad at the same time because they kept asking us the same questions over and over again, and we'd keep answering them, and then they'd keep saying the same things about themselves. And then the wife, she looked over at our car and said, "That's our car, we drive to church in it every week." But then, no, that's not right, cuz it's OUR car. So we told her we'd come get her on Sunday and take them to church with us and she said, "Well, I'd love to come, but I don't know what Church you guys go to," even though we'd told her we belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And then she kept asking if Hna Brotherson and I were sisters. EVERYONE thinks we look alike, and I think it's just cuz we're white. Hna Tuitavake says that's why, too. :) But yeah, I loved being with that old couple, even though it was really sad, it was just really funny, too. What wonderful people there are in the world. :)

And on another day, when we were contacting, a guy said I looked like his niece or something, so he gave me a little pineapple plant. So yay! :) The old people here love me, obviously.

Well, I'm sorry this was really vague and super short, but I've gotta go. The other girls are anxious to hear from their fam bams.

I love you all so much! Keep being awesome! And sorry I didn't get to reply to what you all wrote to me this time. I'll have more time next week maybe.

Ta ta!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment