Monday, June 10, 2013

#13 [Pontezuela - 11] June 10th, 2013

Well, I’m going to be completely honest, it was a very difficult week for me. I found out on Monday of last week that I’m training again, and on Tuesday we went and picked up my new child in Trujillo Alto. Her name is Hermana G..., and she’s from Guatemala. She’s turning 28 years old this weekend! Hna. G... and I are getting along fine, and I love her a lot and am thankful for the opportunity I have to work with her. I just get down on myself a lot, because I feel like I’m not worthy to train her! She already knows so much, and I feel like SHE’S training ME! She was an institute teacher in Guatemala before she came, so she knows the Bible inside and out. I’m teaching her English, and it’s great.
 

But, we have very VERY different personalities, I just have to get used to her is all. And she talks to me like I’m a little child (which is true I am young, but I’m not HER child...), and she shakes her pointer finger at me and says, "No, no, no, Hermanita Erickson," But like I said, she means well, and I do have a lot to learn, and I am happy for the opportunity I have to learn from her. She’s super accident-prone, too, so we have a few super funny things happen all the time. For example, on Wednesday, we made lunch, and the stove top was still hot since we’d just finished using it, and she threw a towel over top of the pan, and the edges were touching the stove top, and it almost caught fire. It was really scary, but luckily, no damage was done. I’ve gotta keep a careful watch on this one...
 

We had a pretty lame week as far as numbers go. BUT! We did find a gold mine in a neighborhood the other day; all of the people we met were super receptive, and we got 5 new investigators in that afternoon! It was great! A goal we have as a companionship is to give out 5 Book of Mormons every day, and so far, we’re doing really well. Being so bold with the Book of Mormon has really strengthened my testimony about the truthfulness of the Gospel, and how badly this world really does need another testament of Jesus Christ. There’s so much confusion in the world, and it makes perfect sense that our Heavenly Father, Who is most definitely NOT a God of confusion, would provide a way for us to know the truth, to provide another precious witness of His Son. I LOVE the Book of Mormon and I just want everyone to read it!
 

We’re doing a 21-day challenge, too, where we read 11 chapters of the BOM every day, in order to finish it in 21 days. And holy cow. It’s tough to find the time every day to read, and I think I’m a day or two behind, but I do plan on doing it. :)
 

We challenged one of our investigators, S., to be baptized on the 7th of July, and she didn’t necessarily accept, but it was good practice for Hna. G. S. is a really great investigator because she reads in between visits, but she’s never been an active Church-goer, so I think that’s going to be the trial we have with her. But she’s a super awesome student, and I think that has to do with the fact that she’s a 12th-grade teacher. I really like her and I hope she gets baptized! She reminds me of Claire A. :) And she loves cats! So they’re long-lost twins! (But S. is like, 20 years older...)
 

Happy Father’s Day this week, Dad! (And Grandpa!) I love you guys!

Okay, now about YOUR email! :) There’s so much going on in the fambam, I can’t even get over it! Thanks for keeping me updated!

Congratulations to Camille! That’s awesome! Who is he? Where’s he from? How’d they meet? What’s the latest!? Temple marriage? I’m so happy for her! That’s wonderful news!

How’s Cole doing?

I’m not sure about the credit card thing, it’s been a long week, and I don’t remember anything. But it probably does have something to do with the DMV. That was an awful experience. I need not say more.

 

I am freaking out at the fact that Jacob Smith comes home this week. I can’t believe he’s been gone for almost two years now. SO crazy! His homecoming speech is on Sunday I think, if I remember what he said in his letter, so I dunno if you’d have time or if you’d be willing to, but I’d love to hear about it. :) And thank Chel and Tori for the poster for me. LOVED IT! Super duper cute.
Congrats to Jason on his baptism! It’s awesome that Josh got to be a part of such a special part in his life. I’m so proud of my little brother’s missionary efforts! Way to be a member-missionary, Joshy!

 

That’s an awesome idea about getting new investigators through chalk art. I have NO idea how those elders had time to do that, and I wish we did, but I dunno. Maybe we’re doing things wrong? If you want to see different results you have to do something you’ve never done, so it seems to work. We’ll put it to the test here. :)
 

It worries me that Jaker forgot what I look like. I wanna see pictures of everyone sometime soon, K?

Head! That’s awesome you’re going to EFY! Don’t let all the boys chase you around! EFY is so much fun, I’m excited for you!

 

As far as hurricane season goes, it’s getting warmer and warmer here, and the rain comes almost 4 times a week. We haven’t experienced anything crazy yet, but we have no idea what will happen since we don’t watch the news. We always find out about what’s going on either during the drama or a few days after. It’s crazy, how as a missionary, you live in the real world, but you are in your own little sphere and completely ignorant of everything going on. Ignorant is the wrong word to use, but I’m forgetting my English speaking skills, so pardon me please. But anyway, to answer your question, I’m guessing it’s gonna be a pretty crazy hurricane season. All of the hurricanes in the past have actually just barely missed the island; they haven’t been "hit" by a hurricane since 1993. I don’t think it’s coincidence that that was my birth year, so it’s probably meant to be that we’re gonna get hit while I’m here and we’re all going to die. Jokes, jokes! But seriously, it’s kinda creepy. :) We’ll see though. "Keep a weather eye on the horizon!" NAME THE MOVIE!!!!
 

Speaking of movies, I really miss Harry Potter, and The Count, and Pirates, and the Happiest Millionaire. Dad, be sure to watch that last one for me, K?

Well anywho, I’m pretty much outta time. But I love you all so so much, and I hope you all have a good, safe, fun week. Ta ta!

-Hermana Erickson
******************************


I forgot to mention what happened to Hna. Brotherson! We still live together; she has a new companion, Hna. E., from Spain! Hna. E. has been out for a year now, she’s really nice.

 

Also, I did Hna. Brotherson’s hair today. She had some Joico haircolor that her cousin or someone gave to her, so she brought it along, and I put my apron on and went to work. Boy, that felt super good, doing hair again. I really miss that. I forgot how much I love to do it. But that was a fun p-day activity. :)
 

Well anyway, that’s about all I’ve got to say. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment