Tuesday, June 18, 2013

#14 [Pontezuela - 12] June 17th, 2013

Hi! I love you all so much!

Dad, first of all, I just want to wish you a Happy Father's Day. I am glad you received my card, and thank you for delivering it to Grandpa for me. I thought about you all day yesterday, and I hope you felt loved. :) I LOVE YOU, PA! Hehehe. And be sure to buy some donuts this week to make yourself feel better, and eat a few for me while you're at it.

Okay, now to reply to your email. It was so exciting this week!

To answer your question about Carmen and her family names stuff. No, she never contacted me before I left, and she hasn't emailed me either. But thank you for doing that. I've got 3 more weeks or so until the next transfer, so I'll be sure to contact those right away. I'm excited to meet them! And is she sure she wants the "Families are Forever" video?


Dad, what will we do without Little House!?!? I guess that means we'll have to buy all the seasons. Aren't they selling the DVDs at Sam's club? What'd be wrong with that?! But thank heavens they're still broadcasting the Brady Bunch. I've got that to look forward to.
 

You guys went to GreatClips? That's awesome you saw/met H. I remember her! She's a nice gal. I still scrutinize people's haircuts everywhere I go here. There's a fad right now with men's cuts, where (I honestly don’t know how to describe it.) But it's like, a rat tail growing out of the middle of the back of their head. And lots of guys have nasty dread locks here. I just wanna take my clippers everywhere I go so I can correct their strange thinking. Cuz it's NOT cute.

Dad! Congrats on winning the money, too! I'm so lucky to have a family that's so lucky! I can't wait to get into the contest-winning business when I get back too! That's definitely something fun I learned from you guys.

This week was kind of a downer. Thank you for your kind words and support.


Hermana G. and I are okay. I really have never had my patience so tried in my life. But the crazy thing is, I came out on my mission with the intention of developing that Christlike attribute, so Heavenly Father is helping me with that FUR SHURE.

So funny story. Saturday night, when I'd finished writing in my journal, I was moving my stuffed animals outta the way so I could hop into bed, and guess what I found sitting on my pillow? A BABY LIZARD! That's right, folks. A LIZARD! At first, I was scared cuz it just surprised me, if there's anything that should be in my apartment, it should be cockroaches or some type of spider, but a lizard!? It was just super random to find it on my pillow. So before it could go anywhere, I grabbed a little tupperware from the kitchen and trapped it in there, then took it outside. I thought of leaving it there, but who knows if it was poisonous, it was a weird color. But seeing it made me think of the good ol' days, catching lizards in the desert as a fam. Thank you for raising me to NOT be scared of those little creepy crawlies. :) I see them everywhere.

It's funny that ex-Elder Jacob Smith spoke in church yesterday, cuz I did too! All the missionaries in our ward spoke yesterday, and I talked about the lizard in mine. Everyone laughed. I know, I know, I'm hilarious. :)


June 16th -- Missionaries serving in PR
In Church, we've been learning more about family history work, and I'm really kicking myself in the behind for not caring/learning more about it before my mission. I really want to participate in the work, but seeing as I'm devoting all my time and energy to this part of the work, I can't. But when I get back, that'll be a goal of mine.

We celebrated Hermana G's 28th birthday on Saturday. We bought a cake on Monday (last p-day) and ice cream. It was great! And guess what!? THEY SELL MY FAVORITE SAM'S CLUB CAKE AT WAL-MART! It's the SAME one! So I'm gonna buy it. No worries, I won't get fat. We run every day. :)

We had 3 baptismal dates set on Monday, but since none of them came to church due to the Father's Day holiday, they aren't valid anymore. (Our investigators have to attend church 3 times before being baptized). But Father's Day here was crazy; everyone uses any holiday here as an excuse to drink and party hard. It's not a good/safe time to be out and about on holidays. Lotsa drunk people. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

We visited a 93-year old less-active man this week. He's not even losing his mind like you'd expect most people around that age to be. It's amazing; ALL the older people here have no mental defects, their minds are just as clear as any young, healthy person's would be. And they don't even look old. No one wrinkles! It's amazing! A youthful countenance is what you get I guess after years and years of suffering and sweating so much in the heat every day.

Oh, and we went to Wendy's this week. Hna. G. tried her first Baconator. She liked it, like I knew she would. I got a Frosty, too, and it was a total let-down. Not good whatsoever. But I thought of you while eating it anyway, Momma. :)

Oh! AND, we have a Dairy Queen here! So that made me happy. If I'm still here for my birthday, I'll be sure to celebrate it with one of those ice cream cakes just for a good time.

Well anywho, I love you all so much, and I hope you guys keep fortifying your faith in Christ. He lives. His Atonement is real. I love this Gospel and am proud to be His missionary and chosen representative.

Gawl, I wrote a lot. Hopefully it didn't bore you to death.

Until next week,
Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment