Tuesday, September 10, 2013

#26 [Cidra - 2] Sept. 9th, 2013

Hello there!

This week was full of contacting and getting lost. I feel really bad driving around all the time, but Hna. Sosa doesn’t have a bike yet, and the streets in Cidra are all really narrow and really steep so it'd make bike riding impossible anyway especially because Puertoriquenos LOVE speeding. I don't wanna be roadkill, so we're driving around until we know the area well enough. But we also went house hunting. That was a lot of fun, and we ended up finding a little house! The guy we'll be renting from is named Obdulio, and he's SUPER cool! He's got banana trees, mangoes, and guava trees all over his property, hammocks, and chickens. He loves chickens, so he's got like 20 that run around everywhere. But we'll be living there, and I'm really excited. We'll be moving in on Tuesday after the District Meeting. I'll be sure to take pictures once we get all situated. I feel so grown up!

We're starting to find investigators. We found and taught a couple who've been married for 30 some-odd years that are really into religion right now because their son is doing bad things and they want to set the example for him. When we sang "Teach Me To Walk in the Light," A (the lady) started bawling. We shared the story about Alma the Younger and the sons of Mosiah with her and they were really excited to read the Book of Mormon. It just made me realize though how much our decisions must affect Heavenly Father and how hard it must be for Him to see us turn away from the right path. Especially those who have been blessed enough to have been born in the Church. But I feel like A and D (the husband) will progress a lot and we're excited about them.

We spoke in Church yesterday. The Bishop called us on Saturday night to tell us. He asked us to get the members excited about sharing the gospel. We've got Stake Conference next week, and that's what will be discussed, too. I'm just excited for General Conference because I can't believe it's already been a whole year since they made the age change announcement! A WHOLE YEAR and look what has happened since then! It's crazy! I love it though. Time passes quickly. And this week, I hit my 6-month mark! And Hna. Sosa hits her 1-month mark! We're gonna be eating cake, obviously. :)

Speaking of cake, people feed us ALL the time here, members, nonmembers... I feel like I'm gonna get fat. But the food is good... so I can't really complain. It'd be a different story if the food was gross and I got fat, but since it's good.. I won't feel quite as guilty. Hehehe. Oh, and our new house is located just down the street from one of the best restaurants in Puerto Rico, so we'll probably be going there one of these days. Hurray for food!

That's honestly all I have to say about this week, things should be more exciting in my next email home. But now I shall answer your questions and comment about Dad's wit!

I love your guys' emails! Thanks so much for emailing me (and Rae) every week! It's so nice to hear from you all and know what's going on in your lives. It sounds like you're all involved in so much!

I'm glad the dinner with the Beesly's went well. Can you guys send me Rach's emails? I wanna know what's going on with her, too. How many baptisms has she had now? (Not that I'm counting...)

In the Cayey ward, there are just four missionaries, 2 Elders and us. The Elders work in Cayey and we work in Cidra. The chapel is so far away from Cidra though that I hope that the ward will progress enough that they'll decide to build a new chapel for Cidra. I think that's why there are so many less actives. But then if they really wanted to go to church they'd get up and just go... I dunno. Puerto Ricans are really awesome, but they'll use any little excuse to get out of things too. A very indifferent culture.

But anyway, it kinda bugs me having Elders in the same ward, they are always trying to join us in our citas (that means appointment). For example, we set up an appointment with a member, they're planning on inviting a non-member to their home for dinner so that we can teach them, and then I come to find out later on that the Elders had just invited themselves to our cita! Those little moochers! And guess what else?! They have a person that does their laundry AND cooks for them every day! It shouldn't bug me, but it does. They're just coming for the food. Ugh.

New topic. David Low's SISTER is Head's volleyball coach!? What the weird! Which sister? What a small world! Dave said that his sister works for Timpanogos, but I didn't know she still did. How awesome! Tell her I say hello! And when you go to Dave's ward, tell him I say hi, too!

 
You guys kinda got to experience what happens here! It starts pouring rain just outta the blue all the time here! And the streets are always flooded! It's so crazy!

Well anywho, I love you all and miss you lots. Thanks so much for your love and support and thank you for raising us kids the way you did, Mom and Dad. I can't believe how blessed I am in my life because of this Gospel. Thank you so much for being true  to your covenants and teaching us the ways of righteousness. You guys are the best parents EVER! I LOVE YOU!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment