Tuesday, January 7, 2014

#43 [Cidra - 19] Jan. 7th, 2014

(A day later due to Three Kings Day)
 

Hello, Fambamily!!

This week has been a good one. Happy new year, by the way. So on New Years Eve, we met one of the members' grandparents who is interested in the church. His name is G__ and he asks a lot of questions. We teach him in English and it's so so so weird to teach in English, but it's been really good, especially for Hermana Archila because she now has a reason to study and practice in English. I can’t decide what I like better, teaching in English, or teaching in Spanish. But we did end up staying up until 1 am or so because our neighbors were going insane with fireworks and the music. It reminded me of the fireworks we do on the 4th of July at Keith and Juliann's house. They were that spectacular. People were also lighting lanterns, like on Tangled!! It looked amazing! It was a lot of fun.

On New Years Day, we got a phone call that affected everyone: we aren't allowed to have a car or use bicycles. All missionaries in the PRSJ mission. We don't know why, but it was a big change. So we cleaned out the car and had it in the church parking lot by 11 that morning. We've been on foot ever since. It's been interesting... especially because public transportation doesn't exist here. So ever since we haven't had the commodity of a car, the members in Cayey have really stepped up to the plate to help us out. It's been really nice to see how supportive they are. Although it's been difficult, I also feel like this is exactly what they needed to get them more involved in missionary work. This change is also requiring me to have a lot more humility as we have to depend on them a lot more, and on the Lord. (More than we already do!) We've met a lot of great people though since were on foot now; we're meeting people I don't think we would have ever met had we still been riding in the car to get to the places we need to go.

Sunday, we didn't have any investigators at church. One of our investigators, A__, is getting baptized on Saturday, so we are excited about that. I’ll be sure to let you know how that goes next Monday.

Our landlord threw a party yesterday since it was 3 Kings Day. (It’s basically Christmas all over again) and so Hermana Archila and I took advantage of the opportunity to serve the people there. As he is a Baptist pastor, he knows a lot of people, so there were over 70 people there. Lots of people stopped and talked with us and loved that we were there helping. She and I were the waitresses, basically, and took away people's plates and washed the dishes. It was a fun service activity.

But because of the holiday, we didn't have p-day yesterday. It was nice to hear from all of you. Thanks for writing to me every week. You guys are great and always make me laugh.

Like Rae, I wrote a lot of new years resolutions, but I didn't bring my journal along with me either, and since I can’t remember any of them right now I guess you won’t get to know what they are. But I also received the package from Bro. Brown with all the testimonies in it. I loved it! I’m not sure what I will do with them either though since they're in English, but hopefully the Lord will send me to work on the islands and I’ll be able to put them to use.

Well anyway, I love you all and miss you a lot. Have a good week!

Hermana Erickson #2

No comments:

Post a Comment