Tuesday, December 31, 2013

#42 [Cidra - 18] Dec. 30th, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :) 2014!!

Looking back at everything that has happened since last year, I've realized I've changed so much for the better, and I've become such a better person. I can't even imagine who I'd be now if it weren't for my missionary service and the people I've met here on this beautiful island. I am so thankful the Lord sent me here.

Something I'm really loving right now is reading. I've been borrowing books from members and reading those along with the scriptures in my personal study time and during lunch. I read The Infinite Atonement, by Tad R. Callister, I read David A. Bednar's book Increase in Learning, and I'm reading The Inevitable Apostasy right now (also by Tad R. Callister), and reading has really become one of my absolute favorite things to do. I love learning about the Church, I love learning about Jesus Christ. I love learning about everything. "To become a good teacher, you must first become a good learner." And I've found that to be very true. As I've come to learn more about the Gospel, I've become a more effective teacher, because I actually understand what I'm teaching — even in a different language! It's amazing what knowledge and understanding will do for a missionary. I'm just so thankful for this time I've had to increase and deepen my understanding of the Gospel and everything that has to do with the Church.

That's been the most life-changing experience I've had on my mission: not so much seeing the changes in other people (although that's been an amazing thing in and of itself), but seeing the changes and progression in me. And I can't believe I only have 9 months left to do this... I'm not thinking about coming home, obviously, but I'm scared to lose the love of learning that I've developed. That's why I asked for books for Christmas!! :) Could you also get me one called "The Day of Defense"? Thanks. I'm dying to read that one, and it's not by an apostle or anyone in the Church, but I've heard wonders about it. It's about two missionaries who were invited to some kind of conference and who had all of these ministers from other faiths asking them questions about everything the Mormons do. I can't wait to read it! So thanks! But anyway, enough about me.

Christmas was great, obviously, cuz I got to talk to you all of you AND TO RAE! And afterwards, we ate at E__ and M__'s house. They were sweet and even got us gifts, too! Lots of people gave us things, especially food. But it was really nice, Hermana Archila and I definitely felt the Lord's love for us. And I tried the traditional pastels for the first time. And Elder in my district forewarned me about pastels before, but I tried them anyway. They look like yule logs, if you know what I mean. And have the grossest texture. But the Boricuas love them. Don't know why, but they do. And I tired it to be brave. Hurray for cultural experiences!

Yesterday, we had four investigators at church. One, J__, came for the first time. We call him J__ P__ because he owns a shake shop and that's how we met him. But anyway, at Church, we had the Priesthood/RS classes combined since it was the 5th Sunday. The Bishop showed a movie about Preach My Gospel and it was good, but then he had all the J__'s in the congregation stand up and share what the had learned. J__, our investigator, got up and shared. It was a really good time at Church. I'm not sure what the difference was with this week, but I felt like it was more spiritual than other Sundays before. And I felt like our investigators learned a TON in all of the classes.

A__ #2, the 20 year-old, is probably getting baptized within the next week. We're hoping on Saturday because we feel like he's finally ready now, but we'll see what he decides. R__ has stopped progressing, even though he still gives us ice cream after every visit. Last week, he gave us another gallon to take home... Then he took the liberty to tell us we were gaining weight! I don't know if I believe it, but I might just be in denial! :) Hopefully after all the Boricuas stop giving us food with the end of the Christmas season, we'll start going down on the weight scales again. :) But whatever. More of me to love, right!? :)

A__ L__, our convert, is progressing a lot. We had a lesson with him about Jacob 5 and he loved it. He's so happy to be a member of the Church, and I feel so lucky to be here, seeing the happiness of a convert for the first time. (Since I had to leave the area right after J__ and A__'s baptism, and right before R__ and R__'s.) But it's been cool for me seeing a recent converts excitement! I love it! It sure is motivational!

Well anyway, I've gotta go. It was really great seeing everyone and talking to everyone on Wednesday. Can't say I'm homesick, but as I'm sure you could tell, my eyes got a little wet. :)

Well, take care, and don't party too hard this week. I LOVE YOU!

-Hermana Erickson


Me and some fish at A__ L__s' house. We were invited to go fishing today, but we decided not to. :) It smelled bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment