Monday, August 12, 2013

#22 [Pontezuela - 20] Aug. 12th, 2013

This week passed by quickly. Lots of things happened, but I'm not really sure where to start. The best part of the week though, like always, was Sunday. Yesterday, we had A's baptism, J's mom. It was a really special experience because J. received the Aaronic Priesthood and immediately after, baptized his mother. I felt so proud of him and so happy! This family is a Godsend for the ward here in Pontezuela, and I can't wait to see their progression in the next few years and for the rest of their lives. I love them so much and am so thankful I got to be a part of their conversion.

The Lord has done amazing things for me this week. He keeps me going when I feel like I can't go anymore. I don't know how He does it, but I am thankful to have Him there and know I'm not alone.

R. is progressing. He's a little timid about his baptism, but I think seeing A. get baptized yesterday made him feel a little better about it. Seeing him progress over the past two months has been such a blessing. You can really tell a difference when an investigator keeps their commitments and when they don't. Like, with prayer for example. His prayers have been getting SO much better, and you can tell he knows he's actually talking to God. It's really special to hear him pray, and it's always my favorite part of every lesson. He said something really sweet in his prayer this week. He said, "Heavenly Father, bless all the missionaries in the world. Thank you for them and for the work they have sacrificed everything to do for the rest of us. Bless that all my family will come to my baptism on Sunday. I promise that if they can come, I'll guide them all to this Gospel and do everything I can to help them accept it. I promise to be obedient and serve Thee forever." I have never felt the Spirit so strongly in an investigator's prayer before, and it made me feel so thankful to my Heavenly Father to have met one of His special children. His soul SHINES, and he is so special. It has taken a while and a lot of patience with him, but he's finally excited about his baptism and looking forward to Sunday. He also received his first priesthood blessing yesterday after church.

We had a good lesson with J this past week, too. He's had a few questions that we haven't been able to get answered since we've been so focused with his mom, and he said he'd gone to a Bible studies class and the preacher there tore down the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Church. I was thankful we arrived at his house that evening because he was pretty shaken up and was doubting everything he'd learned. Satan is definitely not okay with J being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints; we can feel it. So we spent that whole evening answering his questions, defending the Church and Joseph Smith, and he felt better. J is like a little seedling, growing and finally sprouting out of the ground, and when he'd told us about that, I'd felt like someone had stomped on and tried to kill my little sprout. It was scary, but I'm so thankful that I'd prepared that day in my personal studies to answer his questions and settle his doubts. It made me realize that if we're not there to answer his questions, or anyone from the ward, he'll go to another source for answers and this experience made me realize how important home teachers are in a convert's lasting conversion. This whole situation could've been prevented had his home teachers gone over there to see him, I think. Weekly church attendance for new converts isn't enough. Once again, I VOW to be a 100% visiting teacher.

Something crazy that happened this week was everyone got their own phone. Every single missionary. And the phone number I gave you to call on Mother's Day is my permanent number, just for your information. Also, we can text, too! We've got 1500 minutes/month, 1000 texts/month. It's really weird and I haven't texted anyone yet, but I'm nervous about it. I'm kinda bugged about it because I was so excited to basically have a "technology fast for 18 months", but that's not happening anymore. I'm honored that the Brethren trust us so much, but wow. I won't lie, it just makes me want to call you guys! Or text you... Hehe. But I won't. Pinky swear.

Camille's wedding announcement made me excited for her. Tell her congrats for me! (If you haven't yet.)

Best thing I ate this week:
- We bought frozen chicken cordon bleus this week and cooked them in the toaster oven. It wasn't as good as the ones mom makes, but they were good. Better than the typical ham and cheese sandwich I have almost every day. :) OH WAIT. I lie. I bought myself a box of Waffle Crisp this week, and I about died. It was SO good!

The worst thing I ate:
- I can't say I had anything too awful this week. R gave us a dessert called "Dulce de Coco,"and it's basically shredded coconut with sweet beans and the texture makes me gag, but I had to eat it. That's not the first time I've had it, either, and the taste itself isn't bad, but the texture of coconut is just gross.

Have I tried anything new that we don't have at home?
- I've tried fresh mangoes. Those are good. But so far, I'm boring and haven't tried anything all that new.

Jeff is home teaching companions with Jacob B.? That's cool. He's a good kid. Jeff's lucky to have him! I hope Jeff sends me pictures of his rafting trip! That's so cool he's doing that!

Mom! Thanks so much for the chocolate chip cookie recipe! You're so nice to send it to me! I'll be making cookie dough next week “fur shure!” I'm SO excited! We went to the mall again today for an hour because there's a store there that sells cute water shoes like the ones Rae sent to you guys for $3! So I bought a pair and am sending you one, Momma! (Head, don't be jealous, because I'm sending you something else. And I couldn't find any that I liked for you.) Now I've just gotta get around to sending it off... The post office here is SO slow, the lines are super long so I avoid going there.

So there are ice cream trucks driving around daily, and the other day, one passed by and the driver was digging for gold in his nose. It was really gross and I probably won't ever buy ice cream from one of those. But it made me think of Dad. :)

Well anywho, I'll send off the pictures from the week, and then I've gotta go cuz my time is up! Love you lots!

Peace out, gangstuhs!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment