Monday, August 5, 2013

#21 [Pontezuela - 19] August 5th, 2013

Hello!

We had a miracle happen last Monday. H. G. left her wallet outside of our house after coming home from grocery shopping. About two hours later, we got a phone call from J. He was calling to tell us he found H. G's wallet! We were so confused, so we went over there, and it was actually his Mom who had found it on the ground on her way to work. It was on the ground outside our house, next to the car. Nothing was stolen out of it, either. It was a miracle! What are the chances that our recent convert's Mom would find my companion's wallet!? If it had been anyone else, Herm. G's stuff would have been GONE. The Lord is SO amazing and definitely does look out for us.


We had another interesting happenstance this week. We went to one of our investigator's house who has a bird fetish. She has like fifty birds, I'm not even exaggerating. She also has a talking parrot. It can talk, laugh, and sing. This parrot LOVED Herm. G., but it attacked me. It would chase me around and try to bite my feet! I didn't have my camera or else I would've recorded it. But it was SO scary! And it almost got me. And then, after a little while, when I thought it'd calmed down a bit, I tried to touch it, and it bit my thumb! Luckily, I've got my ring on my finger, so I didn't feel anything cuz it just bit that, but still. SO freaky. I officially don't like birds. Herm. G. reasoned that it didn't like me because I'm white, which could be true. It's probably only ever been surrounded by darker-skinned people all its life. It kept calling me "raro," which means "weird" in Spanish. But that was a definite self-esteem booster for sure. Stupid birds.


Every day I come across situations that make me SO grateful to have been raised in the Gospel. I never realized growing up how blessed I truly am to have been born and raised in an active family in the Church. We come across young, single moms all the time here. We met a sixteen year-old girl who has a two year-old. Talking to her and telling her about the Plan of Salvation broke my heart. I could see just by looking at her that she's been through SO much through her life, and had she had the Gospel, like I did, her life would be so much better. I am SO thankful to my Heavenly Father each and every day for the blessings I've been given because of my membership in His Church.


J's mom, A., is really excited for her baptism on the 11th. She has definitely been prepared her whole life to receive the Gospel, she doesn't smoke, drink, or have a coffee or tea problem. I love finding people without vices, who can accept and embrace the gospel principles so easily. J. will be baptizing her, too! It'll be AWESOME.
 

With R., it's another story, he's really struggling giving up coffee, but it's amazing to see how his love for the Gospel and the Church is changing him and making him want to be better. I look up to him for his desires to be so obedient. Every time we present a new commandment, he's ready and willing to live it. He'll be getting baptized on the 18th, if all goes well.

We had a Zone meeting this past week, and some new rules were announced:
  • No backpacks. I'm not sure how riding a bike will go without one, but the Lord will provide a way. 
  • All missionaries will be receiving their own cell phone and will use it for the entirety of their mission. I'm nervous about this rule just because I feel like that's WAY too much independence. I finally got used to having a companion all the time, and now I'm getting my own phone even though I'm with a companion 24/7? I dunno. I don't know when this rule will begin taking effect, but within the next few months.
  • The Elders get to wear different colored suits! Hurray for personality!
  • We can use iPods. Obviously, we can only listen to good Church music. Wanna send mine along? I'm dying. I think all I've got on it are Church songs anyway. I'd also love my MercyMe and you can also put on Christmas music. And MoTAB! If not the ipod, CD's please. And maybe a double copy of some MoTAB for a lady in my ward.
  • We can go to the MALL! :)Herm. Butler is dying to go, so we're going today. If I spend money, judge me.
  • We're only receiving mail and packages twice a month from now on. :( I guess I can live.
I'm excited about all these new rules! It'll be fun!

Glad to hear Chuck is doing better now. Hopefully nothing more will happen with their family medical wise. How's Nathan doing? I'm excited for Camille! I wanna see a pic of the lucky guy!


Madeline finally emailed me! I can't even get over the fact that she's MARRIED now. The pictures were GORGEOUS! What a babe! Tyler is one lucky man. I am so happy for her! I couldn't stop thinking about her on Tuesday. I am thankful they chose to marry in the temple too! How happy :) Thanks for sending pics! Jenny and Gary look good! I just love all of them!


Yes, I got the scripture cases. Sorry it's taken me forever to reply to you about that. The sparklers were there, too, but I haven't had the time to use them. I think I'll save them for my Birthday. :) When I buy a cake I'll stick em on there. :) It'll be really festive! Thanks so much for the scripture cases though! They're a lifesaver!


Okay, and about Carmen's family, I talked to my Zone Leaders this past week about it, and he said he'd call them that day to get on that. Hopefully they did. I can't believe they didn't contact her immediately! I'm so sorry about that.


Dad, I can't wait to read your Mission letters! I can't believe that you actually taught the Gospel in Korean. You have some serious SKILL.


Mom, I'm missing your cinnamon rolls. We bought some today and they just weren't the same. And your chocolate chip cookies. I think it's a blessing that we don't have an oven. But if you could send me the cookie dough recipe, that'd be really nice. :)


Also, I told President Smartt about the run-in our family had with his back in the day. He said he'd love to receive a copy of that photo that Grandpa has, if possible.


Well anywho, I think that's about it. I feel like I wrote you all a ton of interesting things, so hopefully you got a laugh out of one thing or another here. I love you all so much. Thank you for everything you do. I pray for you and worry for your health and safety. Don't forget to eat your vegetables! Cuz I'm eating mine, AND I'm flossing. So don't forget to do that, either.

Doobye!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment