Wednesday, October 23, 2013

#32 [Cidra- 8] Oct. 21st, 2013

Holla!

I'll reply to your email this week because it was just that interesting! :)

Dad, I'm glad you got my birthday card! I was hoping that they wouldn't bend it up, but at least the music works. Hope you (and Spencer hehe) had a good birthday! 50 years old! Woot woot! Eat some donuts to make you feel better.

Mom! How was jury duty!? Secretly I think I want to be called to jury duty. I think it'd be so interesting!

I'll make a special shout-out to President McGinn: Hi, President McGinn!

I'm sad I'll be missing out on the Spanish Immersion Program this year. In the package I sent you guys, did you watch that movie I sent? The program we were in reminded me of the Spanish Immersion one. Buenos tiempos. I'll never forget the flashlight dance!

Jake! Congratulations to you on your egg-drop success! Way to be a winner! WINNER WINNER WINNER!

Hermana S. twitches her nose ALL the time when she doesn't understand something or wants me to repeat myself! I think it's a Latino thing. At first I thought she had some sort of nervous habit or something, but now I get it. Something people do here, though, when they're trying to point you in a certain direction, instead of using their finger to point, they use their lips. They look like they're kissing the air or something. It's interesting. I'll have to show you when I get home, but it's funny. And NO ONE knows how to give directions. For example, if you ask where the library is, they'll say: "Okay, look. You have to go down to the next light. Don't turn there, but keep going straight, until you pass a little bridge. Keep going! Then, you'll see a little yellow sign and turn right there. Go straight straight straight straight, until you see a pharmacy. Turn into the pharmacy and the library is behind the pharmacy." It's not quite as funny in English, but you get the picture. It's complicated. Puerto Ricans are so great!

This was a good week! Hermana S. and I are having a lot of fun together here and a lot of things have happened. We've got two people who agreed to be baptized! The first guy, A__, who's been a member of his Church for over 30 years. His own father was a pastor. He LOVES the Book of Mormon and when we taught about the Plan of Salvation, we only used scriptures from the Book of Mormon and he knows it's true. He says he likes the Book of Mormon and he's reading it on his own because he learns so many things he never knew, and a lot of the things that confused him about the doctrines in the Bible are becoming clear because of the Book. Hermana S. and I both agree that he will be baptized. It's exciting! But it's just hard for him to come to Church because he takes care of his bedridden sister. We went in and met her, and it was like I was on a commercial because she had a hole in her neck! (I thought of you, Dad, and how we all used to make fun of the smoker hole lady commercials.) I don't know if it's a smoker hole, or what, but she had a hole in her body! Poor thing, and when she spoke, it sounded like she was drowning. It was really really weird. I got creeped out a little bit. But it made me thankful for my health. I dunno if she got that hole because she was a smoker, or what, but wow. It didn't seem real.

The other guy, C__, is someone we met contacting. We both got eaten alive by mosquitoes, but it was worth it. He's spoken to the missionaries before, and he already has a Book of Mormon, but when we taught the Restoration, he really wants to come to Church because he is also preparing to be baptized! We're excited about him and A__!

We taught a bunch of lessons this week, but a lot of the people just listened to be nice, none of them are necessarily interested. But we're going to keep contacting and teaching everyone. It'll be difficult because Hermana S. sprained her ankle on Saturday morning while we were out running. That's what we get for being obedient... :) So instead of walking around, she hobbles, but it'll be okay.

So Hermana S. says I sleep talk. She's not the only one that's told me, but I forgot to mention it earlier. This past week, she said I did it twice. I know I did it with Hermana G., too, because she said one time I was praying in English and the only thing she understood was "Heavenly Father." Hahaha. I'm a little embarrassed about it, but at least I don't snore. :) Hehe.

I finished Jesus The Christ this past week and am starting the Book of Mormon in Spanish. I love the Book of Mormon! I know it's true and I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father to have allowed us in these latter-days to have the fullness of the Gospel. It's amazing!

Well anyway, that's just about all the time I've got, so I'll finish this up now. Love you lots and miss you! Have a good week, everyone!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment