Tuesday, December 17, 2013

#40 [Cidra - 16] Dec. 16th, 2013

Hello! :) I'm in love.

... With TORTOLA. I don't even know where to begin; this past week was insane and I loved every second of it! I took lots of pictures, too, so hopefully I'll be able to send those off as well.

So I'll just begin by talking about the plane flight there. I was on a "plane" of 8 passengers, it was super tiny, and I got to sit up front with the pilot! It was a little claustrophobic because all the controls were right in my face, but it was interesting to watch him fly the plane. I thought about how motion-sick Mom would be, though, because there was a lot of bumpiness on the flight over. It was so loud though, so I didn’t get to convert anyone. I was with Hermana Burgess all week; she came into the mission a transfer before me, and we've known each other for a long time because we sang in the mission choir way back when. It was really good seeing her and being with her all week! I loved it.

Tortola is so different than Puerto Rico. First, they drive on the WRONG side of the road! It freaked me out at first, but then you get over it. It's SO gorgeous and the water is so blue. The island is TINY; it reminds me of Oceanside, CA. And the only interesting place on the island is called Road Town, where all the shops are. There were two cruise ships there, so lots of tourists. It reminded me of the Disney Cruise! (We should go again!) And Dad, you'll be happy because when my plane landed, a lady gave me a bag of coupons, and inside the bag there was a coupon for a FREE sterling silver necklace from the local jewelry shop. So we went and got that. It's really pretty, and if it's free, it's gotta be good! Right!? :) I also bought myself a ring out there, I got to pick a pearl and open my oyster. It reminded me of when we did it for Rachel in Hawaii! But it's super pretty, the ring I got. :) I also got a gift for my companion, too. Didn't get you guys anything, though. Sorry, don't get your hopes up.

The weirdest thing about it all was teaching in English. I hadn't done that EVER, really, and so it was actually really hard. But I got used to it. Tortola was a completely different mission and I loved it. There's something about preaching in one's native language that really makes the Gospel and what you're saying so much more meaningful. But what amazed me the most was how receptive these people are to the Gospel! They're so humble, and I seriously felt like I was in Rachel's mission; EVERY one of Hermana Burgess' investigators is getting baptized. (THEY GET BAPTIZED IN THE OCEAN!!) It was really a completely different world. We taught a couple of people in Spanish, and they're all Dominican, and the first appointment we went to, M__ told us she was ready to get baptized. That's the very first thing she said to us! THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN PUERTO RICO! Haha. But it was amazing. They said I sounded like a Puerto Rican when I spoke in Spanish. So apparently, I've picked up the accent! It made me excited.

There was a beach near the airport that we stopped by before getting on a plane to go back to Puerto Rico. It's called Long Beach Bay, and the water is SO SO SO blue. I couldn't even believe it. And the sand is white and soft... I haven't wanted to go swimming so badly in so long! But I took pictures! :)

On the flight home, though, I met a lady who is the mother of someone in my graduating class. It was super crazy. She and I took a picture together and then she took a picture of my name badge. Dunno what she was planning to do with that, but whatever.

It's been weird being back, though. I loved serving in the islands and would definitely go back in a heartbeat. But I imagine that that's what everyone else wants, so whatever the Lord allows me to do, I'll do it.

Well anyway, I'll reply to your email now. I feel like my update to you guys about my time in the island was super lame, but at the same time, there really isn't that much to tell. The pictures speak for themselves.

Umm. I'm glad you got the Christmas tree up! Thanks, Isabelle, for helping my Dad do that! You're a gem! I dunno what the family would do without you!

Jake! I'm glad you're okay after the little fire at school! That's scary! Speaking of tragedies at schools, I heard about the Colorado shooting. What's up with the youth nowadays anyway?! It's sad.

Somehow, if you could, tell Clayton Brown that I really really REALLY want to hear from him. Thanks. I'm glad to know he's still alive! I miss him!

Yes, Matthew Jackson emailed me. It's been good to hear from him, too! Thanks for the update, as well, about Ben and Adam McCurdy! I heard they were companions, but I didn't know they were STILL together! How cool!

Well anyway, I'm glad to hear everyone's doing okay and everyone is happy. Me and Hermana Archila are doing great, I love her a lot and am thankful to be her trainer. I realized this week with Hermana Burgess that I don't really like to be a junior companion, so I'm guessing that's why I have had to train for the past nine months. :)

I'm excited for this week, though, we have a lot of fun things planned and I'm very excited to hear your guys' voices, too! Will Shaylee be coming to listen in on the phone calls!? I'd like to meet her but I'm not sure if I want to over a phone call. I'm not sure if we're Skype-ing, either. President Smartt sent us an email today telling us about what we're supposed to do on Christmas, and all I know is, we'll be at E__ and M__’s house because they invited us over, but I doubt we'll be there for over an hour. We're not supposed to be in any place for more than an hour, apparently. So we'll see what we end up doing and how we'll make it all work. Umm. But we have a way that we can SKYPE with you, so I'll let you know next Monday what will be going on. We're still not sure how it'll work out, but hopefully we can do a 3-way with Rae!! :)

Well, take care of yourself and enjoy the snow! Cuz I definitely don't miss it. :) But I miss you! <3 oxoxoxoxox! Enjoy the pictures and don't get too jealous! :)

-Hermana Erickson               

Also, I forgot to mention, we've got a baptism on Sunday. Woot woot! That's all. Bye.           

No comments:

Post a Comment