Thursday, March 27, 2014

#54 [ST - 6] Mar. 24th, 2014

Hi, family!   

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY, JEFF!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO COUSIN COLE ON THE 26th!!

So it's funny you guys had corned beef last week because WE DID TOO! I was at the Mission Home last Monday and I thought of you guys eating that. It was really good, too. Not as good as Mom's, though!! I didn't even realize it was St. Patrick's day last week until later on that evening.

Wednesday afternoon I was sent to St. Croix to work with Sister D__. I'm just loving St. Croix! But I have just been here with her until today, I leave this afternoon to go back to the Mission Home, pack up everything, and go to Tortola! That'll be my area for the next few months if everything goes as planned! I'm really happy about it because I'll be working with Sister B__. We became really good friends back in the day in Pontezuela! So I'm SUPER stoked to work with her. I've heard working/living on the islands is really challenging, so I'm a little nervous, but I'm really excited and happy that the Lord trusts me enough with a whole little island to myself! There is an Elderly couple there, the Cards, and then just me and Sister B__. It'll be interesting and I'm really excited to go back there because I fell in love with it when I went back in February! :) I fly out tomorrow.

Working with Sister D__ this past week has been really really great for me. She's going through almost the exact same situation I found myself in back in Pontezuela, so I've been helping her realize that missionary work, although we have a strict schedule and strict rules, is meant to be fun, and if you're not enjoying yourself because you're so obsessed with the rules and doing everything perfectly that you lose yourself, then you're doing it WRONG. She has a lot of the same fears I do and it's been refreshing to talk to someone who has the same anxieties I guess. But we've both been blessed being together this past week. I can't believe how much I felt the Spirit here with her and we've only been working together for this week. But it's been perfect for the both of us. I'm so blessed to have met her. She's a convert of 2 years from California, she's my age, and she's got about 8 months on the mission. She's super awesome. LOVE HER.

We had so many miracles this week, too. Sister R__ had to go back to Puerto Rico on Thursday and we actually ended up missing her flight, but she HAD to be there that evening due to an emergency that was happening, so we checked with all the other airlines and all the flights were booked. We waited around for an hour or so just hoping and praying that she could get in a flight on Stand-by, and lo and behold, she did!! It was a miracle, really, because the Lord blessed us after all we could do. It was just a dramatic but really spiritual experience. It doesn't seem like it as I write about it, but I guess you just had to be there. :) I just love Heavenly Father, though and I know He's aware of the little things and the big things in our lives.

We picked up the Elderly couple who will be taking Sister D__ and Sister R__'s places here on St. Croix last night. They're from Utah and Elder Larsen reminds me of Dad a lot. I feel like they'd be friends. We made them an extravagant dinner when they got in last night and then we've been showing them around the island. They're really awesome people and I feel like they're going to kick butt here. The branch here will receive a lot of blessings from them, I'm sure.

This past week I cut President Smartt's hair and it was the first time in a year I'd used my clippers. But I'VE STILL GOT IT! He said he just wants me to cut his hair from now on! :) Hurray! :) I don't know how that'll happen when I'm on Tortola, but I'm sure he'll find a way to get there. But I feel like he's going to be a General Authority one day. He's super awesome and I hope you get to meet him!

I just love my mission so much, even though it's really hard, I love it and I wouldn't trade the things I've learned for anything. I really do feel like I've become such a better person and I am so happy with what I've done so far. I'm really enjoying this and I'm so thankful for your support. I really wouldn't have gotten this far without you all so thank you and I love you all so much!

Thanks for getting my scholarship deferred! I'm so glad I don't have to worry about school stuff yet! I'm so excited for the things Dad mentioned! (vacations, romance, etc.)!! :) Hehehe

Head, I like your glasses! You're a cutie! How's your calling as Ward Missionary going!?!
Jake is getting to be SO tall! I didn't know of whom the pictures were when I first opened them! Everyone is looking happy and healthy! :)

It's getting warmer here, starting to feel a lot hotter than it was. I'm kinda sad about it because winter weather here is SO nice.

Well anyway, I guess that's all I have to say for now. I love you and I miss you all so much!! Thanks for writing to me every week! I LOVE YOU!!!

-SISTER Erickson!! (I'm not speaking Spanish anymore!!!!!!) So weird.

1 comment:

  1. Did you cut hair professionally? Even if you did, it's weird that a millionaire would take a woman away from the short amount of time she has to devote to doing God's work so she can cut his hair... If you know anything about the real reason that Smartt got excommunicated, please speak up to help people understand that there are predators in the church and they need to be careful. There are so many thousands of victims, but the vast majority have been coerced or shamed into silence. Please help end the cycle of abuse. If you know anything, please speak up.

    ReplyDelete