Monday, April 21, 2014

#58 [Tortola - 4] Apr. 21st, 2014

I am so blessed and happy to be a missionary!

This week was a good one, I feel like the biggest triumph we had was with the S__ young men. They're very special. M__, especially, is turning his life around. He came to Church yesterday wearing a white shirt and tie and EVERYONE in the Branch was freaking out about how different he looked. He spoke with President Lyerly after the meeting and from what M__ said, he is cleared to start blessing the Sacrament again! We're really, really excited and happy about it because he also says he wants to serve a mission, and so all these baby steps he's taking along the way are making him excited, too. He said after Church that he felt so good and so happy to be doing the right things now. M__, his brother, has a little more to go, but I know that if we get M__ doing the right things, he'll eventually follow even though he's the older of the two.

We had a hilarious thing happen to us this week, too. Sister Butler and I thought we were out of propane because the stove wasn't firing up, so we called the people to come change it for us. When they called for us to direct them to our house, we didn't know how to tell them to get there, and so the guys thought we were weirdos (or stupid American girls) by the time they finally go there anyway. But the best part is, when they got there, they walked down the stairs to our tank, with the new one in hand, too, and when they went to pick it up, they say, "This tank is FULL of gas..." So we explained how the stove wasn't lighting, and he went in to check it out. I can't even describe the stupidity I felt when he lit the stove and had each burner firing. So they went to leave, right? (Luckily, we didn't have to pay the original $85 they would've charged us for the tank) And so we decided to invite them to Church, and Sister Butler says, "Yeah, it's upstairs Virgin Gorda..." -VIRGIN GORDA IS AN ISLAND... And they just looked at us, and said, "Yeah, maybe we'll show up, but we aren't sure how to get upstairs Virgin Gorda." (Because the Church is actually located above Virgin Queen, a restaurant, not the island of Virgin Gorda...) And we all DIED laughing. Long story short, though, we weren't funny enough because they didn't come to Church. It was a really funny experience, though.

We visited a bed-ridden inactive girl named S__ this week and convinced her to read the Book of Mormon and she said that we were the only missionaries that have come and actually given her the desire to read the Book to find out for herself if it's true. So that was cool. It's so sad because she's been sick with the parasite she's had since she was 16. She's my age. It made me grateful for my health.

We have a new investigator named S__. He's one of the people that work at the gas station nearby and it was really cool because he invited us to his house, and he said that for months he'd been meaning to invite the other missionaries before us over, but hadn't been able to since he was moving and what not. He's really been prepared and is anxious to learn because he used to be going to a church actively, but he had some family problems and got divorced and lost everything, but he feels ready to join a Church again and he said that he felt that we, specifically, had a message he needs to hear. He also says that if he finds out the things we teach are true, he'd be baptized again. I'm excited to see where this goes.

Sister Butler and I are doing well together. I feel like we work together well and I'm happy to be working with her. She's great and I like being with her because I feel like we're on the same spiritual level. :)

Dad, it's funny that during Jake's Hope of America Concert, you were thinking about D__ B__, because I was thinking about that, too this week!! What a funny coincidence!! :)

Good Friday was kinda lame here because EVERYONE on the island left for a big three-day party on Virgin Gorda (so maybe the propane guys went after all!! hehehe!) so the island was deserted.

CONGRATULATIONS TO JEFF AND SHAYLEE FOR THEIR ENGAGEMENT!!! Whoopeeee! I'm so excited for them!! :)

Congrats to Josh, who will be going to Prom. I hope it's good and a lot of fun! Don't forget to be a gentleman and open all the doors for her!! :)

Jake, congrats on your birthday and on EspaƱolandia, and your Boy Scouts award!! I'm proud of you, bud!

Head! Congrats on your learner's permit! Can't wait to go drive with you when I get home!!

President Smartt will be coming to Tortola this weekend for our interviews. I'm excited for my interview because I have a lot of doctrinal questions to ask him and he's gonna have me cut his hair, too. He says he's been waiting since the last time I cut it because my cuts are the best.

Well anyway, hope you have a nice, safe, week and had a good Easter yesterday. I was missing all the candy. They don't have ANY candy here... :( Well, bye!

Enjoy the beauty that radiates from these pictures. Wish you could see what I get to see every day. It's SO gorgeous here, I can't even get over it.

-Sister Erickson



No comments:

Post a Comment