Friday, April 18, 2014

#57 [Tortola - 3] Apr. 14th, 2014


I'm happy to hear everyone is happy and doing well! I loved the pictures of Krispen and Jess' new baby!! She's a cute little one!

I tried my very first Roti and Curry, a typical island dish here. It was DELICIOUS!! There was this mango sauce/jam stuff that you put on it, too, and it made it even better. I hope I can learn how to make it for you because I know you'd all LOVE it. My mission has the BEST food ever.

I forgot to tell you we have District Meeting with the senior couple every week at their house, on Thursdays. It's fun. This past week we studied Chapter 10, about how to improve teaching skills. Then we did practices. It was a lot of fun. I love Preach My Gospel!! It's really is an inspired book. It has made me a more effective teacher, that's for sure.

We're working a lot with less active youth here. The island is so small and so boring that they get into doing bad habits. So we've been taking them with us to visit people these past weeks and it's been effective because they strengthen their testimony, get to have a spiritual experience, and help us teach, and obviously they get to hang out with us, which is a lot of fun because me and Sister Butler know how to have a good time. I just love being her companion!! :)

There are a lot of 7th-Day Adventists here. We taught two guys this week from that denomination. They're all very knowledgeable regarding the Bible, but don't accept anything outside of it (except the books written by their Prophetess.) They gave me 3 pamphlets and I accepted them and said I'd read and pray about them as long as they'd read and pray about the Book of Mormon. So we'll see how that goes. So far, I'm not convinced. I'm so thankful for the Book of Mormon and the understanding it gives upon the doctrines found within the Bible. I know it's true and I couldn't possibly imagine not having it.

I spoke in Church yesterday about Truth and Tolerance. It was fun speaking in English. I like teaching in Spanish, better, though. We had more visitors in Church yesterday, too. She took a picture of us and sent it to my number, so I don't know if you received that, but she sent it.

Saturday was my very first baptism on the beach and it was beautiful!!! We went to Long Bay Beach, on Beef Island (over by the airport here), and that's where we all met up to see the ordinance. It was so much fun and I loved that at least half the branch was there, even though it was early (8 am.) But both W__ and M__ were baptized, and it was super great. I was SO happy for them!! Sister Card made cinnamon rolls for everyone, but they didn't compare with Mom's. I can't wait to eat those again!

 Well anyways, I love you all a lot and hope you have a happy week! I hope Jaker has a good birthday!!! oxoxoxox

-Sister Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment