Tuesday, April 29, 2014

#59 [Tortola - 5] Apr. 28th, 2014



Hello!

Well this week was fine. We went to the digitization ceremony on Tuesday and that was a fun activity. Apparently an anonymous member of the Church donated like $2500 to the library here in Tortola to install this technology, so on Tuesday was the day the library accepted the donation in public and everything. There was free food, too, so that was nice. It made me excited to do my family history. Hopefully more people will find interest in the Church through this new technology. With it, they'll be able to preserve special public documents and other ancient records that are falling apart and the public will be able to access them for free. The people here are very blessed to have such a commodity.

This week was a difficult one because it seemed as though everyone dumped us and/or canceled. And then all the new investigators we'd found these past two weeks or so either all said they don't want to meet with us or forgot about our appointments. But there's no need for me to be a Negative Nancy, I just figured I'd let you know. We need to find new people, that's for sure.

The biggest accomplishment I think we had this week was with the S__ young men, M__ and M__. They've come an incredibly long way in the past 5 weeks, but it was great because M__ got to bless the Sacrament yesterday in Church!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't even get over how proud of him I was. M__ came to Church too for the first time in 3 weeks and he wore the white shirt and tie we got him. Man, there's nothing more rewarding than this, seeing people change and become free from the chains of sin. He was really happy too because he hadn't smoked in like a week and a half. He's only smoking once a day, if at all. So he's almost kicked his habit, and I feel like a proud mother. I love helping the priesthood, especially helping them see their potential. For their whole lives these young men have been told they're basically good for nothing and not going anywhere, but it's been a real special privilege to be someone that can tell them otherwise. I think that's one of my spiritual gifts, being able to see the good in others regardless of the things they've done in the past.



So our interviews never worked out because on Saturday, the day President Smartt was supposed to come, an Elder got shot twice in Puerto Rico, so he had to cancel. Hopefully he'll be able to come soon, but if not, that's okay. Sister Butler was actually going to be getting transferred but because of the incident, he put it on hold. I'm glad because I'm not exactly ready to take the reins here by myself. But to put a rest to your worries, the Elder is perfectly fine. The intended target is dead, these two Elders just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Luckily, the Lord spared his life. Still waiting for details, though. I'm sure President will let you all know in an email, too. If not, just ask me for the juicy details next week.

Well, it looks like I'm outta time and thanks so much for all the pictures. Everyone looks nice. I feel like I'm super lame for never writing to anyone, so maybe I'll get better and start writing to people. But probably not. :) I love you all and miss you.

-Sister Erickson


No comments:

Post a Comment