Tuesday, July 8, 2014

#69 [Ponce - 6] July 7th, 2014

Hi family! I love you!

Happy birthday to Grandma Farley! I love you!

This week was good. I feel like it passed by really quickly. We met our new Mission President and his wife on Tuesday in the meeting. Surprisingly, the meeting was brief and I really appreciated that. I know my companion did too because she was saying how tired she is of having so many meetings in such little time. President and Sister Boucher are nice people. Sister Boucher reminds me of Sister A__, so that was fun. It actually wasn't a real Zone Conference, either, just a quick meeting. I liked it. They basically just told us about themselves. He's a convert from Arizona, he served a mission, and they met at BYU and got married – the typical story. But I like them and am excited to serve with them. I also like how he uses the scriptures.

We found a new investigator who is inquisitive. He asks a TON of questions. He's met with missionaries before, but in a difference place, and apparently, they made him cry because he felt the Spirit so strongly. He came to a baptism this weekend and got to see how we do baptisms. We think he liked it. The problem is, he gets all his questions from anti-Mormon sites, and so we're not sure what his real intentions are: does he want to gain a testimony, or just an intellectual knowledge of what we believe? We've gotta figure that out this next time we meet with him. But he can have a lot of potential.

N__ is doing well. We didn't get to meet with her because when we went by she was working. Apparently the Jehovah's Witnesses came to her house this past week though, and made her cry because they didn't speak very kindly to her because she doesn't have the time to go to their church. When she explained that she has to work 3 jobs to support her family, the lady got mad and said, "God comes first, so give your children to me and I'll take them to church for you." Her sons, amazingly, feel the difference, too. When their grandma asked the twins about us, they called us their friends. They also want to learn "I Am a Child of God." They speak more English than Spanish. Hopefully we'll get to meet with them this week. We haven't even been able to share a whole lesson with her yet because when we've brought members, they always dominate the lesson and talk about worldly things. So we're going to not bring one this time to see if we can actually get some teaching done.

We did some service at a member's house this week. The ward helped a lot, too! His name is R__ and he just got baptized, he and his wife (before she died 5 years ago) were on the brink of getting baptized, when she got sick or something and then died. He went into a major depression and stopped taking care of the house. He's finally getting his life back into order and we went to clean the house out. I've never seen anything like it, but it was full of so much stuff! I took some pictures, but you can't really see because of all the dust in the air. But man, we probably used 3/4 of the 2-gallon bleach bottle we brought. I felt so good helping him, though.

 
We're going to be playing soccer today and I'm super excited about it. Ever since I've come to Ponce I've been feeling like a fatty; people feed us SO much rice and beans. I went on a rice strike this past week. But I'm loving all the Coke they give me! Hahaha. It actually rained twice this week, too, but only at night. I woke up and looked out the window to see a rainbow. It was beautiful. God loves me, obviously. :)

Well anyway, that's just about all I've got time for. I love you and pray for you every day. Thank you for your support and love. Keep the commandments and be happy, or don't and be miserable. That's my advice for the week. :) I LOVE YOU!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment