Monday, July 14, 2014

#70 [Ponce - 7] July 14th, 2014

16 months!

I can't even believe that I've been out for 16 months. I feel like the time is speeding up!

This week was kinda rough. We're still struggling to find people who are sincerely interested in the gospel. And due to the temperature it's difficult to find people outside to talk to.

My companion's Mom is really sick, I'm not sure exactly with what, but her aunt had it a year ago and she ended up passing away from the same sickness. So if you could pray for her, that would be really great. I worry about her sometimes because she's not one to let her emotions show, but I know she's really worried.

We found out that Sister D__ has bedbugs. I don't really know what to do to get rid of those things. We suffer enough with the heat of Ponce. I guess it's just another trial of our faith...

Anyway, we played soccer last Monday, like I said we would. All of us were really sore all week. I played really aggressively and ended up pulling a muscle and I got a grass burn on my leg. I call them battle wounds :) But I really enjoyed playing.

I learned how to make mangu! It's a mashed platano dish, it kinda tastes like mashed potatoes, but with onions and vinegar. Who knew I'd ever eat so much weird food!? Hahaha.

We didn't get to teach N__ at all this week because when we went over there, her kids were distracting her. It's difficult with her kids there because she's a single mom. I'm so thankful to have been raised in a home with a mom and a dad. Thank you for giving me that blessing!

I experienced a "tender mercy" this week. For reasons unknown to me at the time, I've been writing down the information of houses in our neighborhood that are "For Rent." Thursday afternoon, we were in a meeting at the Church when some strangers walked into the chapel. They are a couple from Missouri who will be living here for 8 months and need a place to stay in Ponce. Because I'd written all the information in my planner, I gave them everything I had. It's kinda cool how the Lord works, prompting us to do things even though we might now know why, and we always get to see the reasons afterward. I love seeing the Lord's hand in my life like that. He's the coolest.

I got to do a hair relaxer this week for Sister Leonardo. I felt like I was taking my hair school final all over again. It was fun, though. Man, I miss doing hair so much! Can't wait to get my hands on your guys' when I get there! I'll get you all lookin' so nice!

We found a 20 year-old girl this week and her mom. Their names are N__ and M__. N__ has a little baby boy about 1 year old. They're super nice and really interested in the message of the Restoration. I can't wait to go back tomorrow!

OH! Our investigator, L__, came to church yesterday for the first time! It was really cool because we were supposed to be having an activity on Saturday with the Ponce 2 ward, but that ended up getting cancelled and we didn't know until we got there and the church was completely deserted. So we got to teach L__ right there and then he got a priesthood blessing from the Stake Patriarch when he and his daughter came to get us to take us home. It was a really spiritual experience. He said that he'll really have to think about being baptized. We extended a date for him (August 2nd) but he didn't accept or deny it. He's reading the Book of Mormon, though, and it's really awesome to see him progress. We're going to help him try to quit smoking and drinking. He says that for the 3 hours he was in Church, he didn't feel the desire to smoke at all, whereas usually, in a 3 hour period, he would've smoked at least half a pack. He feels the difference and feels the Spirit. It's awesome!

Well anyway, that's just about it for my weekly update. I'm happy that Heather could receive a priesthood blessing. I love receiving priesthood blessings and that's awesome she could gain a testimony through her experience at Girl's Camp.

Congratulations to Jeff on his new job at the MTC!

Way to go, to Josh, for speaking in Church! Can't wait to hear the talk! I'll bet he did great. What was the topic? Were his hands sweaty? Hehehe.

Good luck to Head with Drivers Ed, DON'T KILL ANYONE! :) And enjoy the "Red Asphalt" movie they always show. It's gruesome.

I love you and hope you all have a successful week. I miss you so much and pray for you when I remember to.

Haha jokes! :) I pray for you all the time. I LOVE YOU!

-Sister Erickson



No comments:

Post a Comment