Thursday, August 21, 2014

#75 [Ponce - 12] Aug. 18th, 2014

2nd to last P-DAY!! :)

Wow, so sorry about not sending the letter last week. The Internet here was super slow and kinda just shut down on me without warning, and I thought I'd sent it. But obviously not. But like I said in the letter I just sent, YES, we got the package. Sister Leonardo loves the sweaters and the ring, she never takes it off, and she wore the white sweater yesterday even though I know she was DYING of heat. She is very very thankful. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for doing that. They don't sell those kinds of things in the DR.

I loved the picture collages. Dad, I'm glad you have the time to make fun stuff for me like that, take pictures, and what not. Thanks so much! I enjoy it.

Thanks for going to Jacob's wedding reception! I appreciate that. I asked if you'd go in my letter, but since that didn't get to you last week, I guess we communicated through the Spirit. How great! :) Thanks so much for supporting him, I'm happy that he's happy.

Okay, last week I had a funny thing happen to me. I got pooped on by a pigeon! We were standing outside of a house and reading a scripture, and then I looked down and there was some type of blue ink on the page. But then, I looked, and there was poo on my bag. The person went inside and gave me a napkin to clean it off, and as soon as I got it clean, I felt something land on my head. YES, the stupid pigeon got me! We were laughing a lot, but at the same time, it was so awkward. But the good thing about it is, apparently, it's a sign of good luck! They say that that means I'll be getting a lot of money soon. :) Seeing as it happened TWICE in the same 10-minute window, that must mean I'll be getting TWICE the amount of money a typically lucky person gets. Or at least that's what I hope.

This week was lame, though, because we were walking around a lot in the hot sun, trying to contact, but there was NO ONE outside. School started here, so everyone is at school or out shopping. Sometimes I get frustrated because it feels like I'm not doing ANYTHING. But PMG says "no effort is wasted," so I guess we've gotta have more faith that there's a reason we're just walking around like this.

This past week, I had exchanges with Sister Boaz in Juana Diaz. That was an absolute BLAST. I had so much fun! We celebrated my 17-month mark getting island-famous frappe's. Mine was an Oreo-Nutella mix. I loved my day in Juana Diaz, it felt like heaven compared to the heat I'm used to in Ponce. And we actually saw human beings! It was great! I was a contacting maniac, it felt good to talk to people and have them actually listen and want to talk to you. I loved it. It made me jealous that I don't get to work there. It reminded me of Cidra. Speaking of that place, there aren't any missionaries there anymore. So who knows what's going on there now.

Our investigators, L__ and R__, are both excited about their baptisms. L__ came back from Florida late Saturday night and didn't make it to church, but HE GOT THE JOB!!! He'll be working in DisneyWorld, so he's really excited. He's moving on Monday, so he'll be getting baptized on Saturday (if all goes as planned), confirmed on Sunday, and moving out Monday. He's got a crazy week ahead of him. But he's excited.

R__ is excited as well, We've still got a few more lessons to teach him, and we're going to his house Wednesday. He gets along fine with the members, and he's not dependent really upon anyone, he finds his own way around the chapel and everything.

The members here are sad to see me go. They've loved taking advantage of my beautician skills. The Relief Society President wanted me to teach a blow-drying class, but I don't know if that'll happen because they haven't really set a date up or anything for it.

An inactive member, T__, invited us over for dinner on Saturday. She said it'd been YEARS since she's had any missionaries over for dinner, so she must like us. That made us happy. She gave both of us dresses, too. She's a professional seamstress, and she has TONS in her little business that she never uses, and so I got a FREE dress! It was really nice of her. She still says she's not ready to come back to Church yet, so that's too bad. But she knows the Church is true. We visited a lot of less-actives and no luck.

Well anyway, I feel like that's all I had to say about this week. I'm excited for Saturday because of the baptisms. They'll be getting in the water at around 10:30 a.m., so hopefully all goes well with the baptismal interviews.

Well, bye. I LOVE YOU! Thanks so much for everything! Have a happy, safe week!

-Sister Erickson

1. The four of us living here in the Ponce house, Sister Oborn, Sister Dye, Sister Leonardo, and me at a Zone Meeting this last week.



No comments:

Post a Comment