Friday, July 12, 2013

#16 [Pontezuela - 14] July 1st, 2013

Hello, Erickson fambly!

Usually, I write to the Mission President first before beginning my letter to you guys, but I dunno, seeing as we got a new Mission President, it's weird because I haven't met him yet. President Smartt got here yesterday afternoon. We will get to meet him tomorrow at 10 a.m. in the office in Bayamon. It's going to be strange, but I am excited, too, because I know he is just what Puerto Rico needs right now. I will miss President Alvarado, and I am thankful for his service.

So I'll reply to your email! What an exciting week you all had! Thank you, Dad, for keeping me informed in such great detail! It's always fun to read about everything happening at home, and I always find myself giggling at what you say.

First of all: JOSH! Congrats on getting your job! That's so awesome! I'm glad you're not playing video games all day! And you can make some money! Hurray! I'm just so proud of you! I've got a little brother in uniform!

Jeff, you should probably shave. That's disgusting. I hope you're feeling better, though. Don't die, okay? Did you guys find out what he had?

Thanks for the scripture cases, too. Hopefully those will arrive this week. When we went shopping today all I could find were Bible cases with crosses all over them. Those wouldn't do. So thanks a bunch! I don't care what color they are, either. But thanks!

HURRAY FOR DISNEYLAND! Do you know when you guys will be going? Dad, you need to practice on sounding excited! I know you've won dozens of times, but still. Think about the losers and how sad they feel, and just be glad you aren't one of them this time! That should make you excited! ;) Hehehe

That's great that Jacob could stop by and get his stuff! Thanks for visiting with him! He's so awesome.


Dad, congrats, again, on your 14-year anniversary with Financial Fusion! You should celebrate with cake!

Mom, I miss hearing from you. You should write more. Stop being so involved in Jake's life. Jokes! I'm glad you're magnifying your calling, Mom! It'll make all the difference in Jake's life to know you were there for him.

So I'll answer your questions:

Best part of the week:
Me and Hna. G. got lunch at McD's this week because we just wanted to, and I had a KitKat McFlurry, and it is officially my go-to dessert. Super good. Caramel, vanilla ice cream, and KitKat pieces. I don't even like McD's! But they did that one right, that's for sure. I feel like we've been eating out a lot lately, which is probably true, but don't judge me.

Best/worst food: Speaking of food... :) We went over to a member's house on Sunday evening and had dinner there. Angel, a 19 year-old young man, is leaving on his mission on Wednesday to Idaho, and he'll be entering the Provo MTC, made us dinner! It was super good. We don't eat at members houses often, but it was super good. None of the food here is complicated, but it's super flavorful, and I love it and have no idea how they make the beans taste so good, or how they cook the rice so perfectly, but it's always yummy and I eat a lot. :)

Funniest thing that happened: Hna G. is really clumsy. I think I've told you that before. She just does all these little awkward things, I can't really pinpoint a specific time within the week where it was hilarious, but there's always something every day that she does that's just so awkward, you just have to laugh.


 
We found a coqui today! (The little frog that makes the little chirping noise!) It was in the chapel at our District Meeting this morning! I took pictures. Hna G. held it in her hand while I took the picture.

Happiest moment: We had a really spiritual lesson this week with a 17 year-old girl named E. We taught her the Restoration but for some reason didn't have a Book of Mormon to give her, so we came back on Saturday night and gave her the book. Then, we decided to invite her to be baptized and she said that if she got an answer to her prayers, she would be. And then J., another investigator we've been teaching, accepted a date: the 21st of July. The coolest thing about teaching these people is being able to see the potential they have. I love watching people change their lives. That's what makes me happy.

Testimony-building experience: We were teaching J. yesterday about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and all week I've been feeling really lame because my Spanish was just not coming. I hadn't really struggled until now, but all of the sudden I'm forgetting words mid-sentence, but with J., it didn't happen, and it was awesome because my mind was clear and the words just came out. The Spirit was really strong during the lesson and I felt like Hna G. and I both had an equal part in teaching as well; we were more unified than we've ever been before, so it was a cool experience with the Spirit. I really do love doing this work. I love learning more about the Gospel and being able to share it with other people.

We have a lot of less-actives in this area, but on Sunday I got to go to a different ward because I got to sing in President Alvarado's ward for his last talk as a mission president. I attended a ward that was the complete opposite of the one I'm in right now; progressing, baptizing weekly, and the members are participating a TON. It was really awesome: you could FEEL a difference. I don't even know where I'm going with this, but I know I've been called to Pontezuela for a reason. I got to see a vision of what the ward WILL be, if not now, in a few years, and it made me excited. I've been studying the Plan of Salvation a lot, about the kingdoms of glory in Doctrine and Covenants 76, and it is really sad to read about those who weren't faithful to their covenants with the Lord. Hopefully all the less-actives will buckle down and take their baptismal covenants seriously so we can turn the Pontezuela ward into a powerhouse. Moral of the story: STAY STRONG! We can do all things through Christ who gives us strength! :)

And to answer your question, things are getting better. I'm doing okay. Thank you for your prayers and support. I can feel myself getting back to normal.

I've gotta go now, it's time to write to the new President! My hands are sweaty cuz I'm nervous! Jokes. :) Well, have a nice week. Love you all! Thanks for everything! BYE!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment