Tuesday, July 30, 2013

#20 [Pontezuela - 18] July 29th, 2013

This week went by quickly; I feel like time is speeding up, or at least the weeks are. It's hard to explain and to understand. Even for me.

We taught R. this week, we re-taught him about the Word of Wisdom because he didn't understand that giving up coffee is part of the bargain. It was amazing to watch the Spirit work within him, because at first his heart was hardened toward the idea of giving up his cup of coffee. He said, "The Word of Wisdom is obnoxious." (I can't remember the word he used, but it was something along those lines, as if the Word of Wisdom is asking too much). But by the end of the lesson, slowly but surely, his demeanor changed, and he WANTED to do it; he had the faith that he could try for at least a week. So that was cool. I am excited to see him be baptized. He is slow-moving, but it's because he wants to do things right. I know he is prepared, he just needs to act on his faith, because he believes everything he's learned. He just is having a hard time giving things up.

We also had a ward activity on Saturday that was a great success. We had 7 investigators show up! The activity was initially meant for in-actives, but only one of the less active families showed up. But we still had a lot of fun, and all the investigators that showed up LOVED it. M., one of which, even said that she feels like she's "among family," in the Church. And for good reason, too, because her brother, P., just got baptized, and a lot of her extended family are members in the U.S. I really want M. and her daughter O. and her sons J. and J.(who just so happens to be J.'s oldest child), to be baptized. And they will eventually. We've got the Lord's angels working with us in this family on both sides of the veil.

Yesterday, Sunday, was the best day of the week for me. We had 3 surprise visitors there in our Sacrament Meeting: President Smartt showed up with his family, the Stake President, and the Area 70, President Anderson. I'm not sure why they came to the Pontezuela ward, but it was really special because J. was confirmed. He felt really special that the President came, too, since he had conducted his baptismal interview, and when he learned who the other two men are, he was really humbled. I don't exactly think they were there for that, but still.

I loved seeing J. receive the Holy Ghost. It's weird. You feel for your investigators what a parent must feel for their kid. I'm sure that it's not exactly the same, but the love I feel for these people is something so different and so special. I love watching these people change their lives for what they know is true. J's mom, A., shared an experience with me yesterday, too, she said that J. had gone out with some friends, but he came back and said he didn't drink any of the alcohol there because he had made covenants with God. When she told me that, I couldn't even contain my joy! My little seedling has grown so much in the past little month, and especially since his baptism a week ago! I'm so proud of him! :)

Speaking of A. (J's Mom), though, I am SO excited for her! She is an incredible woman. I don't know what it is about J. and all of his extended family, but I feel like they're all being prepared by the hand of the Lord, and it's amazing. There definitely are not any coincidences in this work. I love seeing the Lord's hand in it all, too! It's amazing! The Lord has a purpose in this family and I am very excited about it. I'm just glad Hermana Gutierrez and I got to get the ball rolling. We taught her the Restoration yesterday, and she's got a baptismal date for the 11th of August. I dunno if it'll happen because we can only meet with her once a week, but we'll see what we can do. President Smartt said that J. could baptize her, too! So that'd be super special.

I'll answer your questions now. Thanks so much for writing to me!

First of all, about Carmen's family. I'm really disappointed that the missionaries in Levittown haven't contacted M. yet. She is a super nice lady, and I'll be sure to give her a call today. I'll call the missionaries, too. I don't think I'm technically supposed to, but I don't think the Zone Leaders got the information to them because we were right in the middle of transfers and things were crazy since President decided to change everything up. He even picked new assistants. So everyone was all over the place for a good week and a half. But if Carmen wants to send the directions to all her family she wants visited, I can get missionaries to them for her. And in a few weeks I'll know if I'm being moved or not, too, so I can keep one of the references if I just so happen to be moved to one of those areas. I wrote the areas down, too, so I'll keep her family in mind. She's so great! Thank her for me, k?

My exact area is Carolina. (Pontezuela is a little pueblo within it).


I remember Delton. He bought me and Rachel stuffed animals at one of the family reunions in Idaho. I named the stuffed animal he gave me after him. Thank goodness for the Plan of Salvation and the peace that comes from knowing where we go after this life. I love this Gospel!

And I'm SO excited for Madeline to get married to the man of her dreams tomorrow! Congratulate her for me. I wish I could be there! I got her wedding invitation last week and haven't been able to stop thinking about her! The picture was beautiful and I am so excited! I wish her and Tyler the happiest marriage ever! I look forward to the pictures you will be sending me of the reception :) I wish I could go to the sealing! I'm so sad to be missing out on it. Oh, but Dad, I ate a donut to make me feel better. So no worries! Hehehe.

ALSO! Yesterday, Hna. G and I were out and about contacting, and someone's front door was wide open, and they were watching LITTLE HOUSE! I chuckled to myself. Oh how I miss it. :) I guess we'll see what happens when Christmas comes around... Hint hint.

Well anywho, that's just about all I've got to say. Thanks so much for everything and keeping me updated about stuff. It's nice. And thanks for all the pictures, too!

I love you all so much. Keep being amazing and progressing in the Lord!

I'll be sending pictures in another email. Peace out!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment