Saturday, July 13, 2013

#17 [Pontezuela - 15] July 8th, 2013

THIS WEEK WAS AWFUL!

Jokes! This week was actually one of the best ones I've had in a very long time. So lemme tell you about it! We had a week full of miracles and it was absolutely amazing!


The first miracle we saw this week is named R. Hna G. and I contacted him within her first week here, and we taught him a resumed version of the Restoration and gave him a Book of Mormon. He said he is already a member of a different church, but that he'd read the book and that he was excited about it. It'd been a few weeks since we'd gone to see him since the first visit, so we went to his house a week ago and set up an appointment with him and asked how his reading was going. He said he'd been reading the book, and we set up an appointment for Monday.

When we taught him on Monday, it was amazing because the Spirit was so strong. He didn't agree to come to Church with us on Sunday, because he said that his cousin is the pastor in his church, but that he'd like to try it out someday. But honestly, we didn't think he'd progress at all. Then, on Thursday, out of the blue, we got a phone call during companionship study. It was HIM!

HE CALLED US TO ASK US FOR A RIDE TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY! WHO DOES THAT!?!? Definitely not anyone I've ever met here in Puerto Rico. It was seriously so unexpected, and such a wonderful surprise. But I'll write about what happened on Sunday later, to keep you in suspense and what not... :)

Investigator #2: A. We contacted her one afternoon and she let us in to teach. So we taught her the Restoration, and she really loved it. We've been teaching her twice a week, but she hasn't come to Church yet since she goes with her daughter to a different one every week. But we suggested doing a tour of the chapel, and she loved the idea. So we went over to her house one afternoon and took her to the chapel, where we showed her everything: the chapel, the baptismal font, the classrooms, the Relief Society room. She felt the Spirit so strongly, and so did we. We prayed and sang a hymn in the chapel. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced before, and then we taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She committed to be baptized July 28th! She's SO excited to be a member of the Church and I can't wait for her to attend Church next Sunday!

Okay, Investigator #3: His name is J. This past week, we taught him twice, too. J. is super cool. We found him through his mom, who we'd initially intended on teaching, but then when we went over to her house randomly one day, we found him instead, and gave him a Book of Mormon. He was amazed to find out that there were prophets in the ancient Americas. He agreed to another appointment. Well anyway, long story short, he's got a baptismal date for the 21st, and he is SUPER excited to be a member of the Church, too. He's never been baptized, even though he was raised as a Catholic/Evangelicalist. He's very smart, and loves learning about the Gospel. We taught him the ten commandments last night, and he said, "That was easy. Teach me something that's going to be difficult." I thought, "Just wait till we teach you about the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity, then." Hehehe... BUT anywho, I'm just so excited to see him change his life! He's already an awesome person, and the Gospel is just making him even more awesome!

Okay, so now, the good news! Sunday! R. came to Church and loved it! He felt so much peace! We have an appointment with him on Tuesday, and we're planning to extend a baptismal date. J. came as well, and brought his 9 year-old son along, too! So that was an unexpected surprise. But it was an amazing Fast and Testimony meeting, too. Just a very special meeting all in all.

Then, after Church, we had a lesson with a new investigator named O. At first, he said, "I don't have a lot of time right now, but you guys can come in for a half hour." So we went in and ended up teaching him TWO lessons! The Spirit was so strong, and I don't even know how it happened, but then, BAM! ANOTHER BAPTISMAL DATE. July 28th is when he wanted to do it. I've never seen someone accept the Gospel so easily. But for him, he just kept saying, "It makes sense," and all this stuff, and "Now I understand!" It was just really awesome. I am really excited to see how far he progresses within the next few weeks.

But yeah, it was pretty much a super awesome week and I'm so excited to see what will happen in the next month.

Okay, now I will write you all back!

Heather: Thanks for your update about EFY! I didn't read through all of it yet, but if I finish this email in time, I'll be sure to read it! I'm glad you had such a good time. EFY is such a fun experience. And way to go on your first French braid! It looked awesome!

I DIED laughing here in the computer lab because of the photo-shopped picture of me with the Wardies. (Madeline, Ashlyn, Chel, and Tor). I love them! I've been having super weird dreams about Madeline's wedding. I'm sad I'll be missing it! But I'm so excited for her! To my dear friends: YOU ALL LOOK BEAUTIFUL AND I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! Be sure to send me pictures from your iPad of the wedding and all, k? I wanna see the dress and the ring! AND EVERYTHING! :) Such an exciting time!

Still no sign of the scripture covers yet. I haven't been to the office to see if I got any packages or any mail for like, two weeks. So who knows.

I also almost died laughing again when I saw the GOODBYE LITTLE HOUSE ice cream cake. I'm glad you took my advice! Hopefully Santa will bring all 10 seasons (or however many there are) for Christmas... :)

AWW! Missionaries knocked on our door? That's precious! Where were they from? I'll bet it'd be hard to work in Utah.

I haven't been able to contact any of Carmen's family yet, but now that you've sent me the valid number, I'll try again and let you know how it goes! We'll do it tomorrow!

To answer your question, yes we got to meet the new mission President. PRESIDENT SMARTT! We met him and his family on Tuesday at a last-minute meeting. They are a super young family, their oldest daughter is 12. She reminded me of Heather. I admire them a lot; I can't even imagine how hard it'd be to pick up your family and leave. Leaving by yourself is hard enough, but taking 3 other people with you, two of whom being so young, that would be difficult. AND learning a new language. Sis. Smartt was so cute, she'd written her talk in Spanish and could hardly pronounce a thing, but she tried. I admire them so much and can't wait to get to know them more. They are amazing people and I have a lot of respect for them.

Well anyway, wow. I just feel like I wrote so much! It was a week of amazing miracles that I know only God performed. For the past three months, I've had such a hard time, but wow, the Lord DOES answer prayers, and He DOES comfort us right when we need it. The trials He gives us truly are for our benefit. I love the Lord so much and I love this work. It is incredible how the Spirit can soften people's hearts. THIS IS SO AWESOME!

And now, since I can, I will share some of the scriptures I read today, and I did LIKEN them unto myself... :)

Alma 38:2 And now, MY DAUGHTER, I trust that I shall have great joy in you, because of your steadiness and your faithfulness unto God; for as you have commenced in your youth to look to the Lord your God, even so I hope that you will continue in keeping his commandments; for blessed is he that endureth to the end.

Alma 38:3 I say unto you, MY DAUGHTER, that I have had great joy in thee already, because of thy faithfulness and thy diligence, and thy patience and thy long-suffering among the PUERTO RICANS.

Alma 38:5 And now MY DAUGHTER, MARISSA, I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

Alma 38:10 And now, as ye have begun to teach the word even so I would that ye should continue to teach; and I would that ye would be diligent and temperate in all things.

Alma 38:11 See that ye are not lifted up unto pride; yea, see that ye do not boast in your own wisdom, nor of your much strength.

Alma 38:12 Use boldness, but not overbearance; and also see that ye bridle all your passions, that ye may be filled with love; see that ye refrain from idleness.

I just love the scriptures. :)

I love you and miss you a lot. Thank you for everything you do for me! Keep being awesome! I LOVE YOU!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment