Wednesday, November 13, 2013

#35-b [Cidra - 11] Nov. 12th, 2013

Hello!


This week was really amazing and I loved every second of it. I can’t believe that I’ve been here in Cidra now for almost 12 weeks. I feel like the weeks are going by so quickly, and it’s not okay with me because transfers are NEXT week. I’d really love to stay here another transfer with Hermana Sosa. I feel like we’re just beginning to see the fruits of our labors and I don’t want to leave that behind quite yet. I wanna see this through.

Like I said in my short email, I had exchanges this week with Hermana Torres. I went to work with her in Hato Rey all day on Friday. I’m just going to be honest about it. I didn’t really like it. All we did was visit less-actives all day and it was really boring. Don’t get me wrong, I love visiting less actives, but it’s just not the same as teaching someone who’s never heard of the gospel before. I felt, though, like I was starting all over in my mission again, though, because my very first exchange in Pontezuela was with Hermana Torres, and so it brought back good memories. Hermana Torres is a powerful missionary and I admire her enthusiasm to go out and work. I’m just bummed we didn’t get to contact or anything. Contacting in the city is a LOT more effective than it is in the mountains. I couldn’t believe how many people were out and about. And everyone who lives in Hato Rey is Dominican, so it made me feel like I was serving in the DR with Rach. The Hato Rey ward is the biggest and most active ward on the whole island. I’d LOVE to serve there because Dominicans are obviously super awesome. But I still love the Puerto Ricans, even though they’re on the lazier side. :)

So we have a lot going on in our area, specifically about a family of pure gold we’ve been teaching ever since we got here. I’ve written to you guys about them before, but E__, the father, and M__, the mother have 3 kids, all very involved in extra-curricular activities and never have time to go to any church, but they accept every person who walks through their doors. Hermana Sosa and I have loved going over there every Monday to visit and teach them, but we’ve never been able to get through the whole lesson because once Elias begins talking, he NEVER stops. It’s been difficult for us to figure out how to teach them when all he ever wants to do is teach us. Last night, though, it was really different because we had invited Elder and Hermana Collazo to come along with us to teach. (They’re an elderly couple who have been serving for 17 months; I worked with them in Pontezuela a few times). But anyways, the lesson was INCREDIBLE. For the first time, both Elias and Maria were listening, and it was just so cool to watch the Spirit work within them. The Spirit was so strong, and for the first time since we’ve been teaching them, Hermana Sosa and I feel hopeful that they’ll actually begin progressing. We’d been thinking for the past two weeks that we needed to stop visiting them because the only thing they had changed in their lives since we’d begun teaching them was that they’ve begun to pray as a family. We’ve been going for almost 12 weeks now, so we were feeling pretty hopeless. But last night changed EVERYTHING, and I want to see this though so badly. I know without a doubt that this family will be baptized and change the Church here in Cayey. I love them so much and I am so thankful I came out here on a mission and could find them. I’ve never wanted someone to accept the gospel so badly as I do for them. I’ve never wanted to see someone enter the temple so badly as I feel for them. The lesson we had last night changed my entire perspective, and I feel like it’s possible.

We have other investigators that are progressing, too. R__, who is over 80 years old, but is still completely sane, is one of the most amazing people I’ve met out here so far. I don’t know what it is, but his personality kills me! And he’s reading the Book of Mormon and he loves it. And when we first met him, we invited him to Church, but he said he would never come. But last week, he said, “I need to come to Church,” and he’ll be coming on Sunday. I know he’ll be getting baptized, too and I’m so excited because he’s the cutest little old man!

I think I’ve written about A__ L__ before, but he’s got a baptismal date for the 24th of November. He’s come to Church twice now, and has loved it. He’s already got a testimony of the Book of Mormon and we’re so excited about him.

So now I’ll reply to your questions:
        – As for Christmas packages ideas, I don’t need really anything, but I’d LOVE some new garments. And if you could send me some Christmas music, too, that’d be fun. More Mo-tab, too. I want normal hymns.
    – Just so you know, I’m wearing my retainer for a week straight every month and I haven’t missed a single day flossing. :) Thanks for your fatherly advice, Dad! I’ll keep it up!
    – You should be proud of me because I’m learning how to make so much good food! I’m the one that cooks for the two of us always, and Hermana Sosa says she loves my food! Hurray! :)
    – We played soccer yesterday for P-day and it was SO fun! I hadn’t played in over a year I think, and wow. I love that game. I wish more people played it here, but the main sports are baseball and basketball. Lame. 


Well anyway, that’s really all I have to say about this week. I love all the people we’re teaching and am so excited for everything happening here in Cidra. This week was just perfect and I am really so thankful that I came out here, I’m glad I didn’t go home when times were tough, and I’m glad I’ve still got 10 months to go. I love this and I love serving the Lord by serving other people! This gospel is really what everything is all about. I am so thankful for it in my life. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for raising us in a gospel-centered home. Thank you for doing family scripture study every week with us. Thank you for all of the family home evenings we had. Thank you for taking us to Church on Sunday. Thank you so much for everything! I just love you guys!

-Hermana Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment