Monday, November 25, 2013

#37 [Cidra - 13] Nov. 25th, 2013 -- "Happy Sanksgibing"


"Sanksgibing" is what the Puerto Ricans say because they can't pronounce the word correctly. It kills me every time! :)

But hello! So this week has been good. I gave birth on Tuesday evening after spending the whole day in Caguas. Her name is Hermana A__, she's 24 and from Guatemala. My new comp "child" and I are getting along well, I feel like she's getting used to mission life and will be a very successful missionary; I'm excited to see where these next 12 weeks will take us. BUT I feel honored to be training again, and the new missionaries always come into the mission with an energy that I feel like all "veterans" need. She's absolutely terrified of mice and bugs and it's really funny because I'm not that scared anymore. Poor thing. So hurray for being a mother! :)

I'm coming up on the 9-month mark and it's just really weird because I feel like time has gone by too quickly. I still feel like I'm brand-new in the mission, and yet at the same time, I feel like I've learned SO much. I've been so thankful this past week for the opportunity I've had to be here. I can't believe I opened my mission call a whole year ago... It's really so unreal. Coming on a mission has been the best decision I've ever made in my life and I feel so blessed to have been able to meet the people I've met and learned the things I've learned.

We had the first baptism in the area yesterday, A_ L__. YAY! I honestly thought there for a bit that he wouldn't be getting baptized, but he did it yesterday along with one of the Elders' investigators, and we were all really happy. He looked so... clean. It was really a cool experience.

We've been contacting a lot of people. This past week, a lady let us in her house to help her decorate her Christmas tree. It'll be the first Christmas I've ever had without snow... so honestly it doesn't feel like Christmas and I'm actually okay with it because if it did, I feel like I'd be getting trunky a little bit. But for that reason, Heavenly Father sent me here to Puerto Rico where snow doesn't exist, and I'm perfectly fine with it. We gave her her first Christmas present, a Book of Mormon, and we were excited because she said she'd read it even though she's Catholic. So I'm excited for our next appointment with her. She's a super nice lady, and she's young, too! She and her husband H__ have been together for 8 years, and I feel like they would totally get married in the temple! So keep your fingers crossed and prayers goin' up to heaven.

But back to talking about Christmas, Puerto Ricans celebrate Christmas starting with Sanksgibing, then they celebrate hard core the holiday of the 3 Kings, then Christmas, then New Years... and just keep celebrating until the first week of February... Woot woot! Party!

R__ is having a hard time giving up coffee and smoking, but he wants to get baptized, so hopefully his desire to follow Jesus Christ will be stronger than his addictions.

I'm sick for the first time out here. I dunno what it is, but I have a headache all the time and am super tired, and my throat hurts. Hopefully it's not dengue... But if I die out here, just know I died doing what I love doing, so it's okay. Instant exaltation, too. hehehehe. :) jokes, that's an awful thing to say.

Man, Rach's emails kinda make me depressed. I feel like she's working in the Celestial kingdom of missionary work. But at least I haven't turned apostate and started to like Coke-a-cola... :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HEAD ON SUNDAY! Head, you're allowed to open the envelope I sent you a month ago. :) Cheers. Hope you enjoy.

Okay, about the money. Honestly, I have NO idea what I do. Sometimes, I have to pay for my companion and don't have enough on my mission card because she doesn't have anything. (I feel like all Latinos have to buy soda and chips and those are super expensive here...) And then I bought a skirt at Rainbow and MeSalve' because I was really just super sick of my clothes and gave some skirts to Hermana Sosa before she left. But I'm sorry! And besides, I figured it would count as the Birthday money I never spent... :)

Tell Tonya and Vik at the Forum I say hi. Do you know anything more about T__? I worry about her. I miss hair school, well, I miss cutting hair in general. Can't wait to get back into that when I get home! :)

I hope Joshy gets into BYU! Where do you think you'll go, Joshy? MOVE AWAY FROM HOME FUR SHURE! It's so fun! :) Get outta Happy Valley and live in the real world! It'll do you well.

Well anywho, I'll try sending the pictures off now since I have nothing else to say. Love you lots and thank you so much for your support! Keep reading the scriptures and having FHE! Ta ta! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment